20" Wheels on Gen 2 Raptors vs Stock 17"s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the tough part about it. I like the suspension mods. I don’t know if I want to stick with a red vehicle for the long term....

Here is what I drive now.

9547005F-7D47-4012-B5C2-818A66D85C7A.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 totally different vehicles. If you don't do a lot of offroading, you don't need a Raptor with all of those mods, but saying that, it does look like a sick truck, it just needs some good old fashion cleaning, damn, for a vehicle that's for sale, they could of cleaned it up first.

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they were anticipating having it on the lot as long as it has been. I do a lot of hunting and the roads where I go to hunt are not that great. A Raptor would be a great thing to have just for that alone. I also want to do some other off road stuff too.

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great timing for this post as I was looking at a Rousch Raptor set up with 20's vs. my 2019 SCREW. Some of these answers got me thinking about my old 1980's step sides with 15" rims and 31" tires, or 17" rims with 33" tires. I took my trucks to hell and back living in southwest Wyoming. Why wouldn't a 20" work with 35" tires. I never broke a rim or lost a bead. Shredded a number of tires on rocks, and broke axels and drivelines ......seems to me there is enough rubber left to do some pretty decent off roading with a 20x35 combination. (excluding baja runs) Looking for real application insight.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great timing for this post as I was looking at a Rousch Raptor set up with 20's vs. my 2019 SCREW. Some of these answers got me thinking about my old 1980's step sides with 15" rims and 31" tires, or 17" rims with 33" tires. I took my trucks to hell and back living in southwest Wyoming. Why wouldn't a 20" work with 35" tires. I never broke a rim or lost a bead. Shredded a number of tires on rocks, and broke axels and drivelines ......seems to me there is enough rubber left to do some pretty decent off roading with a 20x35 combination. (excluding baja runs) Looking for real application insight.
The difference is, that "most" people that "offroad" their raptors as they were designed, will air them down for in sand, etc, this a must to play in the dunes and beaches and not get stuck, the people that do this understand why the 17" wheel is better. Trying to compare raptor offroading which I am referring to and a chevy pick up theme from the 80's offroading is totally different. If you plan on hitting a couple potholes at 20 mph on a gravel road in the back alley somewhere, you probably wont bend a rim or lose a bead, but guys with experience "raptor offroading" will all tell you different. If you've never been offroading in the dunes, you need to go try, it is so much fun, most people get hooked right away, it's a total blast!

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is, that "most" people that "offroad" their raptors as they were designed, will air them down for in sand, etc, this a must to play in the dunes and beaches and not get stuck, the people that do this understand why the 17" wheel is better. Trying to compare raptor offroading which I am referring to and a chevy pick up theme from the 80's offroading is totally different. If you plan on hitting a couple potholes at 20 mph on a gravel road in the back alley somewhere, you probably wont bend a rim or lose a bead, but guys with experience "raptor offroading" will all tell you different. If you've never been offroading in the dunes, you need to go try, it is so much fun, most people get hooked right away, it's a total blast!

Thanks for that input. Trust that the offroading I was doing was much more significant than potholes on gravel roads but it was not dune running at all. If it were dirt/gravel or just two ruts in the desert it was typically at 50 plus, or it was a lot of climbing, ditch navigating and pioneering new trails going after elk etc... haven't had the good fortune of having good dunes to ride. Now I live in Nor-Cal, weather is better, but the opportunities to go "wheeling" are much more limited than when I have my expansive BLM land to run for hours on end. If only I could take my Raptor back to 1984!