1st or 2nd generation Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those figures sound about right. The 7.3 is an aluminum head, iron block pushrod engine. Very similar to a GM LS engine or Chrysler 5.7/6.4/6.2 Hemi.
Ummm, except it’s a cast iron block, so not really that similar. Typically not used for performance applications due to the weight- but can potentially equate to stronger bottom end & capable of holding big power better- few generations removed Shelby for instance.

I wouldn’t want an FE block V8 in a 1/2 ton these days. At Least not a factory mass produced one, Performance crate motor- sure! Depending on application.

they ain’t putting a V8 in new raptor and if they were, it certainly wouldn’t be a heavier slower rotating cast iron big block. Why the hell would they do that after putting massive investment/R&D toward EB/hybrid lighter power trains & lighter weight AL constructed body designs? Especially in an offroad performance truck. Why do you think dodge doesn’t put the Cummins in the power wagon?

my point about AL vs steel body construction when shopping used Raptors just rings more true every day since the gen 1 steel bodies are that much older, that much rustier, w/ higher mileage running engines no longer produced by Ford that may turn to be an issue sourcing parts down the line.

Taking the engine discussion outta the equation- the tranny, suspension, frame, body construction, tech, interior, transfer case, & drive modes are ALL superior w/o discussion.

now that the gen 1 is so long in the tooth & the gen 2 has been out a while Ford will be debuting newer designs of both standard F150 & raptor in the near future. At this point if the only sticking point is am Bach gets a damn V8 the gen 1s are getting so old may as well start looking @ low mileage 17”s when new F150/Raptor comes out & prices drop even further getting a gen 2 and doing a V8 swap. Best of both worlds.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ummm, except it’s a cast iron block, so not really that similar. Typically not used for performance applications due to the weight- but can potentially equate to stronger bottom end & capable of holding big power better- few generations removed Shelby for instance.

I wouldn’t want an FE block V8 in a 1/2 ton these days. At Least not a factory mass produced one, Performance crate motor- sure! Depending on application.

All of the engines I mentioned are use cast iron blocks in their respective truck applications. GM's new 6.6 V8 is iron block/aluminum heads as is RAM's 6.4 truck engine. Even the Hellcat 6.2 is iron block/aluminum head. What is the reference to the old Ford FE block? The 7.3 is a clean sheet design, no relation to any older engines.

they ain’t putting a V8 in new raptor and if they were, it certainly wouldn’t be a heavier slower rotating cast iron big block. Why the hell would they do that after putting massive investment/R&D toward EB/hybrid lighter power trains & lighter weight AL constructed body designs? Especially in an offroad performance truck. Why do you think dodge doesn’t put the Cummins in the power wagon?

FCA's technical answer as to why the Cummins isn't available in the Power Wagon is that the winch blocks off too much airflow to adequately cool the diesel. The Cummins also weights about twice what the gas 6.4 weighs, so that was probably a factor as well. I agree though, it's likely the new Raptor will continue with an EcoBoost V6.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of the engines I mentioned are use cast iron blocks in their respective truck applications. GM's new 6.6 V8 is iron block/aluminum heads as is RAM's 6.4 truck engine. Even the Hellcat 6.2 is iron block/aluminum head. What is the reference to the old Ford FE block? The 7.3 is a clean sheet design, no relation to any older engines.

FCA's technical answer as to why the Cummins isn't available in the Power Wagon is that the winch blocks off too much airflow to adequately cool the diesel. The Cummins also weights about twice what the gas 6.4 weighs, so that was probably a factor as well. I agree though, it's likely the new Raptor will continue with an EcoBoost V6.

I see your point on Mopar- but GM LS engines are AL blocks - 5.3, 6.2 I know their new HD gasser is an fe block, but again not a performance engine

my point was the fe block adds a significant weight penalty & in trucks especially that already are front heavy by design it’s the last thing you wanna do is add even more weight to the nose if it’s a “performance” application

ktmcolorado

Reaction score
ANY vehicle with ' electronically augmented sound' is an immediate "No thank you". If your so proud of your engine and it's modern touches then own the sound it outs out. Period.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune alone you’re making 500-550hp 550-620’TQ

weighs 500 lbs less

looks better

beefier shocks

beefier frame

won’t rust- period- made of AL

better interior

10 speed tranny + 4.10s ass gapes the gen 1

I mean why is this even a thread again? For Christ sake does anyone have ANY concept of base metals properties/building material quality? pretend it’s a different “hobby/niche” vehicle like a wrangler, bronco, vette, mustang, Aston, whatever- ummmm duuhhhh do I want the AL one that has panels that won’t rust, weigh 3x less, & cost 10x more to produce/form or the ****** steel stuff?

think about price difference between parts- it’s like, do you wanna build your boat outta rusty nails or Marine grade stainless bolts? You know the obvious answer.

thats just materials/build quality- forget about getting into all
The other advantages, it’s a non starter

Gen 1 trolls, pic the mic up

I know Gen 2, get over yourselfs. The Gen 1 is far superior!

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is the Gen 2 trying to sound like a Gen 1. That should tell you something right there...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc