17 vs 19 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFPhysO

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’ve been researching these trucks for a few months now, even came super close to pulling the trigger at one point. Now I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to two, a ‘17 and a ‘19. Both are 802a SCABs. The ‘17 has around 35K w/extended warranty and the ‘19 has 10K, plus the Recaros. The only big upgrades of the ‘19 I’m tracking is then new live valve shocks and the adaptive cruise control. I also read they went back to metal oil pans on the ‘19s at some point but not sure how to verify it has that or plastic. Both are out of state so I can’t just pop over and have a look.

My question is whether or not the ‘19 upgrades are worth the extra $9K difference. The ‘17 has venomrex wheels and rigid fogs, but that’s about it for mods. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for a good while but I’m in the military and could always have to sell if get stationed overseas. I feel like the ‘19s might hold their value better which is a small factor for me to consider, not huge.
Thoughts?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’ve been researching these trucks for a few months now, even came super close to pulling the trigger at one point. Now I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to two, a ‘17 and a ‘19. Both are 802a SCABs. The ‘17 has around 35K w/extended warranty and the ‘19 has 10K, plus the Recaros. The only big upgrades of the ‘19 I’m tracking is then new live valve shocks and the adaptive cruise control. I also read they went back to metal oil pans on the ‘19s at some point but not sure how to verify it has that or plastic. Both are out of state so I can’t just pop over and have a look.

My question is whether or not the ‘19 upgrades are worth the extra $9K difference. The ‘17 has venomrex wheels and rigid fogs, but that’s about it for mods. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for a good while but I’m in the military and could always have to sell if get stationed overseas. I feel like the ‘19s might hold their value better which is a small factor for me to consider, not huge.
Thoughts?

I believe the ride is different in the 17 vs the 19 as far as the Fox shocks. I can't remember the details though. I believe it was stated the 2017 will be a softer ride where the 2019 would be stiffer. I have a 2019 and I love the ride but have no experience with the 2017. I would think a softer ride would be even better for daily driving.

A 2019 would have any updates that were found to be of issue in the 2017s. There are slight interior configuration changes as well. They both have 802a packages but what external factory addons do either have? Weigh that as well.

The cam phaser issue seems to be more prominent in the 2017s but I think 2018s have seen it and some 2019s have been reported (hard to keep track of them all) so whichever you decide (assuming it's a dealer) suprise them and see if you can get the engine started when it's been sitting cold overnight.

I'd go with the 2019. Newer, less miles. Try to talk them down even more... if you're financing, $10K will increase your payment by ~$125 but may be worth it since the vehicle will be near new.

I wonder why someone traded in a 2019 though. Is it a demo?

OP
OP
AFPhysO

AFPhysO

Reaction score
There aren’t any mods on the ‘19, the ‘17 has the venomrex wheels with BFG mud terrains, rigid fogs, and some pioneer speakers. So it’s not really anything that makes it perform better as a daily.

I haven’t asked why the ‘19 was traded in. It’s very clean from what I can see in photos. It’s still under the factory warranty for about 2 years/25K miles so I don’t feel like
I need to be overly worried about something breaking during that period at least.

I just don’t want to pull the trigger on the cheaper one only to wish I had those upgrades the ‘19 has. Hoping somebody that has experience with both will chime in.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

The 17 FOR SURE has the plastic oil pan. I would recommend staying away from that one. If you are thinking of just doing the metal pan conversion later, think again. That is not a simple bolt on. It requires a few parts to update, and is a time consuming swap that is not all that easy.

The comment was made about the cam phasers. Again, always make 100% you cold start it to see if it has the issue right away. The statement made that it affects one year more than others is not accurate. It affects all years based on the giant cam phaser failure threads and poll here. Ford has released updated parts and tuning a few times, but not of it has fixed it. There was a supposed cutoff date for the most recent new parts, but there are trucks failing after that date. It affects all 3.5 ecoboost, so all F150 and Expedition/Navigator are seeing this same thing. Maybe find a clean gen 1 and feel comfortable with the lack of issues? Just food for thought.

OP
OP
AFPhysO

AFPhysO

Reaction score
The 17 FOR SURE has the plastic oil pan. I would recommend staying away from that one. If you are thinking of just doing the metal pan conversion later, think again. That is not a simple bolt on. It requires a few parts to update, and is a time consuming swap that is not all that easy.

The comment was made about the cam phasers. Again, always make 100% you cold start it to see if it has the issue right away. The statement made that it affects one year more than others is not accurate. It affects all years based on the giant cam phaser failure threads and poll here. Ford has released updated parts and tuning a few times, but not of it has fixed it. There was a supposed cutoff date for the most recent new parts, but there are trucks failing after that date. It affects all 3.5 ecoboost, so all F150 and Expedition/Navigator are seeing this same thing. Maybe find a clean gen 1 and feel comfortable with the lack of issues? Just food for thought.

i was wondering how involved an oil pan swap would be. I’m pretty good at wrenching but wouldn’t want to spend an entire weekend on a project that doesn’t make it faster...

i was considering a gen 1. Got real close to buying a 2012 with 40K on it but got cold feet. I was sure I’d wish I had just got a gen 2 every time I passed one.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘17 turbos are slightly different. Per Kino in the offroad video series.

I had a 2018, then ‘19, and now a ‘20; long story... The ride is softer in the pre-live valve trucks, but the 2019+ trucks sit taller than the older gen 2s (unless perch/springs were done to the ‘17). Don’t let that deter you as the live valve trucks ride better than any other stock truck on the road, just a tad firmer than the 2017 & ‘18s.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering how involved an oil pan swap would be. I’m pretty good at wrenching but wouldn’t want to spend an entire weekend on a project that doesn’t make it faster...

i was considering a gen 1. Got real close to buying a 2012 with 40K on it but got cold feet. I was sure I’d wish I had just got a gen 2 every time I passed one.

Definitely stay on the hunt for a gen1. One thing you will also be happy with is that it will maintain value.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The first thing you should do when evaluating the answers you’re getting in this thread is determine if the responder to your questions actually owns, or has ever owned a Raptor. I say this because you’re already being trolled by the notorious sasquatch77, banned ... what you up to now @Kuan, 8 times now?

The ‘17 has venomrex wheels and rigid fogs, but that’s about it for mods.

if it’s not lifted, and not being sure what wheels those are, chances are there could be rubbing on the front wheel wells if there’s not enough wheel offset. You’ll want to check this. I think the stock Raptor wheel offset is ~34mm and most aftermarket wheels are nowhere near that.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

OP, ignore the above post. 99% of what this guy just stated is 100% wrong. He doesn't even own a Raptor, he's just a troll.

The cam phaser issue was resolved mid 2018 and an SSM was published with revised part numbers and a revised PCM calibration to correct the issue. Kuan has ZERO data to prove otherwise, all he does is run his mouth spreading rumors and looking for attention. It's getting really old. He's not a contributor to this forum, he's a detriment.