17 vs 19 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’ve been researching these trucks for a few months now, even came super close to pulling the trigger at one point. Now I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to two, a ‘17 and a ‘19. Both are 802a SCABs. The ‘17 has around 35K w/extended warranty and the ‘19 has 10K, plus the Recaros. The only big upgrades of the ‘19 I’m tracking is then new live valve shocks and the adaptive cruise control. I also read they went back to metal oil pans on the ‘19s at some point but not sure how to verify it has that or plastic. Both are out of state so I can’t just pop over and have a look.

My question is whether or not the ‘19 upgrades are worth the extra $9K difference. The ‘17 has venomrex wheels and rigid fogs, but that’s about it for mods. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for a good while but I’m in the military and could always have to sell if get stationed overseas. I feel like the ‘19s might hold their value better which is a small factor for me to consider, not huge.
Thoughts?

As long as both are Super Cabs you cant go wrong! I'd opt for the 2019, has numerous upgrades over the 2017 and its 2 years newer. I am happy with the Recaros, not very aggressive but thats what I want in a truck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go 19.. test drove both before buying mine. The first entrance ramp curve you take at 65 in sport mode with the 19, you'll thank me.

Does sport mode adjust the shock valving (stiffer) as well for more aggressive driving? Heck I can take highway exit ramps at 55 or so in Normal mode and 36/34 psi(cold) tires and no sweat for the truck. If it gets better I want to know!

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
I bought a used 17SCREW last year and love it. Was a totally loaded seemingly babied black beauty with 35,000 miles. I did buy an extended warranty but to date the truck has been flawless. If your cool with the extra $ go for the 19, if your maxing your budget and the extra $10K (I think you said the diff was) is of concern get the 17 and be very confident.
I've put 10K on already and she's loaded up to head to the Canadian border for a 5 day snowmobile trip tmrw!
Honestly either way your getting one damn find truck!!!

Pure745

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the '17 with 100K mile warranty over the '20 in my case because I had to have Avalanche grey. I've heard mixed reviews on the 17/18 Fox vs. the Live Valve and realized it didn't make much difference for me - ended up getting the color I really wanted and will be doing King 3.0's and some other stuff where the stock suspension on either would be just fine till I swap them out.

I saved about $10K, got the color I wanted, 802A package, no sunroof, and have the 100K warranty. I also like the full leather a bit more than the leather/cloth in the '20.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • Provide data from Ford showing that the 3.0 is replacing the 3.5 - Easy. Look at the Ford and Lincoln website. The 3.5 ecoboost is only available in the f150/Expedition/Navigator. The others switched to the 3.0TT.

• Provide VINs that show a pattern failure of 2019 models with a cam phaser failure that exhibit the same defect that was corrected with the revised part numbers and calibration - Can you not read the cam phaser thread(s)? There is solid proof there if you can mentally digest it.

So, we do have data points, after the supposed ford fix cutoff date, of cam phasers still failing in the new design. There are only two options for the cam phaser:
1) Use @Bhollier special oil additive that coats the parts and the contaminants to stop this issue.
2) Use a cam phaser lockout kit.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
  • Provide data from Ford showing that the 3.0 is replacing the 3.5 - Easy. Look at the Ford and Lincoln website. The 3.5 ecoboost is only available in the f150/Expedition/Navigator. The others switched to the 3.0TT.

• Provide VINs that show a pattern failure of 2019 models with a cam phaser failure that exhibit the same defect that was corrected with the revised part numbers and calibration - Can you not read the cam phaser thread(s)? There is solid proof there if you can mentally digest it.

So, we do have data points, after the supposed ford fix cutoff date, of cam phasers still failing in the new design. There are only two options for the cam phaser:
1) Use @Bhollier special oil additive that coats the parts and the contaminants to stop this issue.

You’re ignoring the most obvious option.

another FRF ban for you

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does sport mode adjust the shock valving (stiffer) as well for more aggressive driving? Heck I can take highway exit ramps at 55 or so in Normal mode and 36/34 psi(cold) tires and no sweat for the truck. If it gets better I want to know!
Yes sport mode does the shocks. Much less roll in the curves.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bye bye.

D

Deleted member 17706

Lol Big Blue (aka Big Brother) is about to send you to the Gulag where you will never be heard of again!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Lol Big Blue (aka Big Brother) is about to send you to the Gulag where you will never be heard of again!

she’s just going to re-register a new 2nd account. this isn’t her only account here, heck, she could resurrect a few from the old days.

Still... it is satisfying to have the forum back for a while to be able to discuss Raptor things.