10R80 issues - P0C29

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20leadfoot

Reaction score
So as others have said , the oil level and how you check it is critical on these 10r80 trans. Decided to have my trans fluid and filter changed ( 60,000 miles ) and made the mistake of taking it to a local non dealer shop. Asked them if they were familiar with the 10r80 trans and was assured they were. BIG MISTAKE . Job was completed and took it for a test drive. Was OK on city streets but once I got it on the freeway , all hell broke loose. Started searching for gears , slipping and started to smell burning oil. Pulled over and oil was everywhere. Limped back home and called the shop. I even asked them if they could have overfilled it and was told absolutly not. They said they checked everything and took it for a test drive and told me that they double checked the oil level and everything was fine. Yeah right!! , Took it for another test drive and same thing happens again. Now i'm pissed. Decide to take it to the Ford dealer like I should have done in the first place. Ends up that the trans was overfilled by about 2 quarts causing the oil to blow out of the breather on top of the trans and screw up the shifting. Luckly no damage was done and they reserviced the trans and all is good now. At least the shop that screwed it up reimbursed me half of what the dealer charged me to correct it. Lesson learned.....

OP
OP
NorCal Offroad

NorCal Offroad

Reaction score
17 days later ... $480 out of my pocket, warranty paid the rest. Work order listed my concerns, "verified by test drive, suspect internal failure and recommend replacement".

IMG_2059.jpg

Tbogo

Reaction score
Why is it folks are changing their tranny fluid and filter often? Only because of shifting problems? Paranoid? My maintenance schedule (2021 Gen 3) only shows to check fluid level all the way through 200K miles and no filter or oil changes.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it folks are changing their tranny fluid and filter often? Only because of shifting problems? Paranoid? My maintenance schedule (2021 Gen 3) only shows to check fluid level all the way through 200K miles and no filter or oil changes.
The maximum transmission fluid interval is 150k miles for 10R80 regardless of year. For owners who are towing/hauling frequently or doing high performance driving, that interval should be adjusted down.

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpeg
    IMG_5018.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 7

Tbogo

Reaction score
So again I ask though - Why are so many owners changing their fluids/fiter sooner? Is there a more recommended mileage period for this transmission?