1012 power steering out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a awesome day of mudding my power steering seems to not be working. in slow speeds it is hard to turn the truck. I thought maybe the 4x4 is stuck on but the back tires chirp when I hammer the gas. They will not chirp if it is in 4x4. The 4x4 could be stuck but I dont think so. The truck also says it is in 4x2.

This has happened after a day of mudding on a flat surface. I cleaned the entire truck and dug out all the mus I could see in the under carriage. Has anyone here had a problem like this? I just want to try everything before I take it to the dealer.

Thanks

Jamie

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A previous thread had talked about the steering pump going out due to cavitating fluid. Due to poor design of the reservoir. Rpg is designing a better reservoir. So probably need to have the pump checked. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Some one else posted their issue and found a cracked rack housing where the tie rod end looks like it smacked the rack. Pull the boots off and peek in.

BDRAG

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the powersteering fluid, due to Fords poor reservoirs design the powersteering fuild cavitate and foams. Causing whining when you a wheeling really hard. Also causes excessive effort while turning and sometimes it will suck up a bunch of air and it feels like the steering gone completely out.
What I would do it completely top of powersteering fuild, then slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times. What you want to do is draw fluid slowly into and out of steering rack to remove any bubbles.
They there are two things you can do to futher prevent this. You can wait till RPG releases their upgrade power steering reservoirs which corrects this problem. Or you can get some open cell foam (like they use in fuel tanks) and place it in the powersteering reservoirs ..

-Greg

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Check the powersteering fluid, due to Fords poor reservoirs design the powersteering fuild cavitate and foams. Causing whining when you a wheeling really hard. Also causes excessive effort while turning and sometimes it will suck up a bunch of air and it feels like the steering gone completely out.
What I would do it completely top of powersteering fuild, then slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times. What you want to do is draw fluid slowly into and out of steering rack to remove any bubbles.
They there are two things you can do to futher prevent this. You can wait till RPG releases their upgrade power steering reservoirs which corrects this problem. Or you can get some open cell foam (like they use in fuel tanks) and place it in the powersteering reservoirs ..

-Greg

I was going to tell a story about fuel cell foam when Micro gary posted it. On an old race truck they used an old fuel cell and the foam was breaking down and clogged the fuel lines making a very short race. Especially after LONG hours of preparation to have something so simple go bad. Me I would say off your ex-wifes lawn mudding and wait till Raptor jedi master COREY gives the final blessing on the powersteering resivor fix. Why is Corey such a perfectionist ? GET ER DONE !

OP
OP
sidram

sidram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The local dealer replaced the power steering pump. They said it was bad and had no idea why. They ordered the part and had it in the next day before lunch. Nice to have good service.