1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve admitted in past posts that, not only am I a smidgeon younger than @Oldfart who we all know can still do the Irish jig, but that I’m new to trucks, having bought my first truck a 17 Raptor followed in quick succession by a 18 Platinum and my current 19 Raptor.

So I see commercials, print ads showing 3/4 ton trucks, etc.

I know the f250 is bigger, the 350 bigger, etc. but what does the tonnage designation denote?

And which of the Chevy and Dodge trucks are the same size as an f150, 250, 350.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
cargo capacity. The Rap is a half ton truck, meaning it’s rated to haul about 1k pounds of cargo safely. Because Ford knows that means exactly **** when you’re on a job site and you have exactly 1 truck bed full of bricks that need to be hauled from point a to point b, Ford, and I’m sure every other manufacturer to some extent, test even their half ton trucks under “is he crazy?” conditions. I hauled an entire bed full of oak tree my buddy cut down in my 2001 Lightning. It was riding low in the back, but continued to move out smartly without any drama.

The owner’s manual will guide you on what’s permissible to haul weight wise.

MadMaxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F150 / 1500 - 1/2 Ton

F250 / 2500 - 3/4 Ton

F350 / 3500 - 1 Ton

Tonnage Classification usually goes by Payload Capacity.

Needless to say, I had a lil less than 500lbs in the bed of the Raptor the other day, and I was less than satisfied with the amount of Squat the rear had with that little weight in it.

I know the Raptor has lighter capacity Leafs than a regular F150, but c'mon, it was less than 500lbs, and it squatted more than 2". Gave it the stupid Cali Lean look.

So, I am now in the market to get rid of my '18 with less than 3k miles, and go back to an HD Truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I know the Raptor has lighter capacity Leafs than a regular F150, but c'mon, it was less than 500lbs, and it squatted more than 2". Gave it the stupid Cali Lean look.

So, I am now in the market to get rid of my '18 with less than 3k miles, and go back to an HD Truck.

That’s a cryin’ shame, I tell you. I’ll give you $500 for it right now; get you out from under that burden.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 1/2 3/4 1 ton naming conventions go back ~50 years where those were actually the ratings, now it's a class designation.

Most F150 have a payload of more than 2000 lbs (however the Raptor is derated due to its compliant suspension)

F250/350s have a capacity of about 3-4000 lbs depending on options. DRW versions can be higher

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F150 / 1500 - 1/2 Ton
F250 / 2500 - 3/4 Ton
F350 / 3500 - 1 Ton

Tonnage Classification usually goes by Payload Capacity.

Sort of, and that is the general way people view the ratings / naming of vehicles. However, it is more complex than that, and the history of light trucks in America plays into it a lot. Sure, today we call Ford F150 / Chevrolet 1500, and Ram 1500 trucks “ half ton “. And 250/2500/2500 three quarter ton, and F350/3500/3500 one ton. But really, they are not, not even as the companies “rate” them.

Like many things automotive, you have to go back to the beginning of civilian vehicle production just after WW II. During WW II the military used ratings like quarter ton, half ton, three quarter ton, one ton, etc, to rate vehicles. After the war many people were familiar with this rough concept. It had been in use before the war also (both civ and mil), but far fewer people had any real idea of what that meant to the load capacity of the vehicle in real world terms. The war exposed a lot of young American males to what a truck could do and how much was a ton, or half ton, etc.

After the war Ford came out with the F-1, which is called a half ton truck and rated it with a payload capacity of about 1000 lbs, depending on your exact configuration of options. There was also an F-2, an F-3, and an F-4. The -2 and -3 were “three quarter ton” trucks, and the F-4 was a “one ton”.

Chevrolet had the 3100 (1/2 ton), 3600 (3/4 ton), and 3800 (1 ton), Dodge had the B series, the B-1-B was half tone, B-1-C was 3/4 ton ,a nd B-1-D was 1 ton. Every couple years Dodge incremented the number, so that by 1953 they were using B-4-B, B-4-C, and B-4-D. 1954 saw the introduction of the C series Dodges using the same general format.

A few years later Ford changed the designation to F-100 for the F-1, combined the F-2 / -3 into the F-250, and the F-4 into the F-350. But all the trucks now had more options, and the actual payload of the F-100 was anything from about 760 lbs to about 1530 lbs, depending on the configuration and options. So the heavy duty half ton was really rated at three quarter ton, and the 250 could be rated for as much as a ton.

Around the same time (within a couple year span of each other) Dodge adopted D100, D200, and D300 and Chevrolet adopted C10, C20, and C30 (4x4 models were K, not C), but GMC adopted 1000 (1/2 ton), 1500 (3/4 ton), and 2500 (1 ton). Later Chevy went to 15, 25, and 35.

In the mid 1970’s the F-150 was introduced. This was a heavy duty half ton, really a half ton with some three quarter ton features on it, designed to be a heavier vehicle to circumvent some emission control regulations in place for lighter GVW vehicles. And the payload was increased to roughly ¾ ton to get the GVW they needed for the emissions sidestep. They were also called a “heavy half”.

All the other makers had to step in line, because consumers see numbers and easy specs. The “150” had to be better than Dodges “100” or Chevy’s “10” (and later 15).

Eventually everyone settled on the 150/1500, 250/2500, 350/3500 format for ratings, and the numbers still were roughly called 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks, but this had less to do with actual ratings and more to do with rough conventions.

For example, todays 2020 F150 has a payload rating of up to 3270 lbs in some configurations and the base model with the smallest engine is rated at 1990 lbs, and the Raptor is 1200 lbs. But, they still call the F150 a “half ton truck” in all configurations, even though the lightest capacity is over a half ton, and the heaviest capacity options are over 1.5 tons. Other companies have similar spreads and disparities.

So today it is more of a price point / capabilities point convention rather than a true payload capacity rating. But in the past it was indeed the payload capacity.

T!

(edit) Oops, I see Johnkn was posting some of the same info I was while I was typing this.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Needless to say, I had a lil less than 500lbs in the bed of the Raptor the other day, and I was less than satisfied with the amount of Squat the rear had with that little weight in it.

I have owned a Gen 1 and now, a Gen 2 and I did not buy them for their load capacity. On my Gen 1, I added helper springs on top of the factory springs to easily carry 1000 lbs with no squatting.

On my Gen 2, I wanted to run 37s, so I went with Geisers and Deaver +3s in the back. Before the Deavers I had issues towing a small lightly loaded trailer. It was probably right at 500 lbs tongue weight and my truck squatted at least two inches, like you experienced. The trailer was swaying all over the place and it was not a pleasant drive.

Since my Deavers, I have towed a much heavier trailer full of furniture with more than 1000 lbs tongue weight. It barely squatted and towed it beautifully for more 900+ miles.

I recommend changing your rear leafs if you want to tow with the Raptor, so you can continue to drive an awesome truck the other 95% of the time! My F250 HD was great for the few times I had to tow, but very harsh the rest of the time I owned it.