1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread.....

I 2nd the comments about deavers, or timbren bumpstops (which can be easily removed in minutes). Seems it would be much more economical than getting into a new truck, unless, of course, you just want to give up everything else a raptor has to offer.

Personally, my heavy stuff goes on a trailer instead of in the bed on long distance trips. If you have the space for one, you can pick up a 7k tandem axle trailer with minimal tongue weight all day under 2k.

Just yesterday I had a 14k equipment trailer loaded with demo materials. Realistic trailer weight was probably around 7k loaded and with a weight distribution hitch. She squatted just a little bit (and im leveled so I had a handicap in the cali lean department).

I regularly tow my 8.5x16 enclosed with a WD too - looks fine with the right hitch

But hey, its your truck, do your thing. Seems like the rappy purchase for you may have been for cool points and preference rather than purpose.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My last truck was a ‘15 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2 all terrain, I think it was rated for just under 2k lbs payload- when I was hauling stones to build a big ass fire pit i went pretty heavy on last load & decided to hit up the scales @ gravel plant for ***** & giggles - it had 2800 lbs in the bed. It was sagging a lil but honestly just leveled it because I already had it lifted 2.5 inches & added 1.25” taller rear blocks to keep a good bit of rake. That truck had aftermarket bilstein 5100 shocks.

my raptor I really try & keep the payload in bed to around 750 lbs tops- those springs/shocks are REALLY not made for heavy loads. I imagine regular payloads of 1000 lbs would result in premature wear of the shocks + sagging/losing some overall ride height over time.

I have hauled over the 1200 lb payload technically but I put about 350-400 lbs in the cab (bagged crushed stone & stone dust + pavers) & 1200 on the nose in bed

only going about 5 miles down road

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, people coming outta the woodwork to attack me because a truck can't haul 500lbs to MY standards. I didn't know 500lbs was considered so heavy, by so many. Awesome!

I know what the truck is designed for, built for, capable of, whatever you wanna call it.

But the fact is, with only 500lbs in the bed, it shouldn't squat as much as it did. It's not like I'm trying to tow a 34ft boat or a bed full of gravel with this truck, and am shocked it can't handle it.

So now...going by some people's logic that decided to attack me, with it being a "Baja Ready Performance Truck" you're telling me that people using the truck for what it's "designed and built for", AREN'T going to be carrying atleast 500lbs of $hit in the bed?! C'mon, get serious.

I'm not saying I hate the truck and wanna kill it with fire, so relax.

Atleast with the weight in the bed, it rode better than a Caddy! There, now that I praised the truck, you happy now?!

no one is attacking.....the truck as built is for random guys like us to go off-roading with little or no experience or extra stuff to be bought.

now if you would rather haul at a job site then go off-roading....then a standard f-150 is what you buy, not a raptor. pretty simple really.

and those that do "baja" for serious, know, the truck as built will still need upgrades to make it a serious off road truck. as you said...serious off road needs more then 500 pounds of chase gear normally

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I’ve admitted in past posts that, not only am I a smidgeon younger than @Oldfart who we all know can still do the Irish jig, but that I’m new to trucks, having bought my first truck a 17 Raptor followed in quick succession by a 18 Platinum and my current 19 Raptor.

So I see commercials, print ads showing 3/4 ton trucks, etc.

I know the f250 is bigger, the 350 bigger, etc. but what does the tonnage designation denote?

And which of the Chevy and Dodge trucks are the same size as an f150, 250, 350.

F150=1 wetba....I mean laborer, F-250=2 laborers, F-350=3 laborers. They are like skidsteers, smaller can do less work, larger can do more work.

For the guy that is upset because his truck sagged 2" with 500 lbs, well the raptor ain't for everyone. For the occasional things I haul it is fine. I dragged home a Tahoe on a trailer, about 8k total, everything was level, no issues. If I have to haul something stupid, I borrow a 3/4 ton from someone.
Back in the day when I was contracting, I had duallies and 3/4 ton trucks, I am over it now, and loving it.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
Exactly where did you dream that ******** up?

easy guys....somebody else must know what I'm talking about...I put 1200 pounds of bagged wheat in mine, squatted in driveway...and I thought what a p*** y truck. Jumped in looked at gauges 5 degrees tilted front and 3 degrees to the right. As I drove down the road, the truck leveled itself. Physically and according to gauges. I was unaware it could do this. You must be too... I could tell I had load but drove fine....and I rarely watch MSNBC....but go ahead...