Bigg50's build - Well sort of...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, big thanks to Gordon for helping me install this thing.

Ok, I got a Gobi Rack. They haven't quit released them yet but I'd seen a photo on facebook with a rack on a Raptor that looked like one of theirs. I messaged them and in fact they were developing one for the F150. 5 months later it showed up haha. I can't complain though. The workmanship is amazing and even came prewired through the tubing of the rack.

16840108629_61acd5ca19_b.jpg

The install didn't go as smoothly as it should have. They use jack nuts but we ended up abandoning them for nutserts. Once we did that things went much better until I stipped one of them, doh! I think Gordon wanted to slap me when I did that haha. He's a very methodical, read the instructions kind of guy. I'm a trial and error, don't worry things will work out kind of guy so I can get on his nerves sometimes.

Anyhow, we wrapped it up and I'm pleased with result. For now, all I have are cell photos. I'll have better pics when I get back from next weeks trip. There is also a wind fairing that comes with the rack but I can't use it due to the 50". I'm debating removing it. Until I do, I've got plenty of light haha!

16406093823_23c5713d49_b.jpg

16838701800_93d04565b6_b.jpg

16403924684_cb34a5b4f7_b.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Looks good! Let's see some night light shots!

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's some closer shots

16843492688_0950218beb_b.jpg

16823866047_55e77c95a4_b.jpg

17005293976_94c1bab90a_b.jpg

16411128663_5fabbf9aa1_b.jpg

16843747040_5d7a157c66_b.jpg

That's cool! How high is it

I'd say it sits about 2 inches to 2.5 inches above the roof.

Looks good! Let's see some night light shots!

haha, ok i'll get some next week.

I love how sleek the rack is so I looked into them, until I saw the price tag, now I'm planning on calling a friend and having him build it. ?, Seeing how you have one, is it worth the $1500

Also, what's it weigh?

I mean if you have a fab guy who can do it, go for it. I will say, it really is built well. The fit and finish is flawless. I really like the light bar mounting setup, adjustable so depending on what brand you have it will still fit. They can set it up for other types of light setups as well. It's setup for 2 6" lights in the rear. I'll be adding those when I have time. I think the price is fair for a high quality product made in the USA.

Weight is around 80-90 lbs.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, you drilled holes in your roof, guess you'll always have a rack on their for life! Should be able to support a spare tire at least?

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When J was first thinking about getting this rack I gave him a really hard time. Not my style at all. However, after seeing it installed on the truck, I have to say it looks a lot better than I thought it would. It is very well built and the fit and finish are great.
I would say the biggest down side is having to drill 8 holes in the roof. Personally I have no problem drilling or cutting on a new truck. I know some people stress over it and if you are one of those this rack is not for you.
We talked about the quoted max weight and it is 300 lbs. so you could put a tire up there. J is a really big guy and I think even he would have a hard time lifting a 120 lbs spare up there without damaging his truck.
Not to mention the added weight up high.
It's perfect for bulky items like tents, sleeping bags and chairs for when you are camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the weight capacity? What are you planning on putting up there?

Figure I'll put both spares up there :ROFLJest:

300lbs and 800 static. I'd never test the 300 unless it was for hauling something around town. For day to day, I'm keeping the smittybilt recovery ramps and my ax. For runs, I'd probably keep it to a tent and a chair.

I like the extra hauling capacity since my chase rack takes up so much room in my bed. Where it will really come in handy is for family camping trips or when I have more than 1 passenger on a trip. I almost threw my tent and sleeping pad up there for this trip but I have enough room in the cab. Not the case if I had 2 passengers.

This is my bed all loaded up for my trip. We'll be camping for 2 days of it so I'm carrying more gear than if we were crashing at hotels. There will also be a cooler placed to the left of the large tote.

16850520878_6d5062991d_b.jpg

So, you drilled holes in your roof, guess you'll always have a rack on their for life! Should be able to support a spare tire at least?

haha, that was something I thought long and hard about but I decided it wasn't a big deal. I plan to have this truck for a long time. It will likely get caged with a front LT and rear sprung under setup. Which is yet another reason I decided to get it. I'll loose even more room once it's caged.

Steel or Aluminum?

Steel.

When J was first thinking about getting this rack I gave him a really hard time. Not my style at all. However, after seeing it installed on the truck, I have to say it looks a lot better than I thought it would. It is very well built and the fit and finish are great.
I would say the biggest down side is having to drill 8 holes in the roof. Personally I have no problem drilling or cutting on a new truck. I know some people stress over it and if you are one of those this rack is not for you.
We talked about the quoted max weight and it is 300 lbs. so you could put a tire up there. J is a really big guy and I think even he would have a hard time lifting a 120 lbs spare up there without damaging his truck.
Not to mention the added weight up high.
It's perfect for bulky items like tents, sleeping bags and chairs for when you are camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe dog crate was how you described it haha. Glad you don't hate it as much as you thought you would! Thanks for all the help.