HornBlaster Install - PICS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome job on the install.

I'm currently in the middle of mine. In the instructions from HornBlaster. They say not to mount the pressure switch (blue box) under the tank. It can get clogged with water and not work properly.

I would exchange the relief valve with the pressure switch.

Also, you can get some air hose to relocate the compressor inlet. Beneath the truck is too dirty. Either reroute it into your cab, or into the bed.

I love the cat video... I can't wait to get mine done. Trust me, no one has installed one where I'm putting the tank!!! lol...

mrpork

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome job on the install.

I'm currently in the middle of mine. In the instructions from HornBlaster. They say not to mount the pressure switch (blue box) under the tank. It can get clogged with water and not work properly.

I would exchange the relief valve with the pressure switch.

Also, you can get some air hose to relocate the compressor inlet. Beneath the truck is too dirty. Either reroute it into your cab, or into the bed.

I love the cat video... I can't wait to get mine done. Trust me, no one has installed one where I'm putting the tank!!! lol...

well do share all your ideas:slap:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Horn Blaster Train Horn Install

Well... my train horn installation is a bit unconventional. I wanted the tank and horns be be protected as I do quite a bit off-roading. I also got the largest horn blaster kit offered by Alternative Offroad. The train horn kit comes two fold for me. I wanted onboard air along with some fun. We now live near the beach and I figured I'd be airing down a lot more often than before. I also upgraded the compressor to the constant duty viair compressor (the 540 kit typically comes with the heavy duty viair compressor).

Once the kit came in, I spent some time under the truck and looking on the interweb to find ideas for where to mount everything. The 540 kit comes with a 5 gallon DOT rated tank with 8 ports. This tank is awesome! But it is large, and won't fit in convention locations. :wtf2:

img_2808_l.jpg

The tank is too large to fit between the frame and the rocker panel like most have installed it. I also didn't want the tank in the bed. My bed is typically very full of gear, luggage, coolers and other important items. I wasn't about to make room for a tank of air. I had to do some cutting, but I was able to stuff the tank up into the fender behind the rear wheel on the driver side. Orangeaddict helped me get the tank installed. Soon I was grinding and cutting more on my truck than I thought I ever would. :puke:

20130913_230852.jpg

P9102117.jpg

P9102116.jpg

PB023082.jpg

PB023081.jpg

PB023080.jpg

PB023079.jpg

Getting the tank in there and mounting it to the bed was tough. The mounting bolts had to go through the bed, thus the tank is upside down. I had to trim portions of the underside of the bed and portions of the inner fender. I also had to trim the end of the leaf spring bolt to give myself the most clearance.

Now that I had the tank mounted, I found a good spot for the air horns. I was able to put them up against the bed, between where the spare tire goes and the cab. I used some self tapping screws and a few strips of perforated galvanized steel. The back side of the horns on are the driver side, the open end is towards the passenger side. I kept the horns as far as way possible from the stock exhaust.

P9102132.jpg

P9102131.jpg

P9102130.jpg

P9102127.jpg

P9102126.jpg

P9102125.jpg

P9102124.jpg

I also thought about putting some stocking over the end to keep the water and mud out. It didn't really work out too well. But ohwell.
PB023090.jpg

With the tank and horns mounted, I needed a common place for the air compressor. I did, however, want to mount the compressor in the bed to keep it out of the mud and protect it. I found a nice location in the rear driver side, directly above the tank. This worked well with my current WSI Expedition Bed Rack, as the compressor is protected since the hi-lift jack is directly above the compressor and my 50 cal. recovery gear box is next to it. As you can see in this photo, the compressor is well protected in the bed.

P9102133.jpg

P9102135.jpg

P9102137.jpg

P9102138.jpg

PB023077.jpg

PB023076.jpg

I had to remove the tie down cleat and I was able to run the wires through the hole behind it. The air hose ran through the stock holes for the bed extender.

PB023074.jpg

For the compressor, I also bought the viair compressor mounting bracket for $23 from amazon.

41Wd8kBmILL._SX300_.jpg

Bigblue hooked me up with a cover for my air fitting mounted on the side of my bed. Previously I had black electrical tape over it.
Before:
P9102133.jpg
After: THANKS BLUE!
PB023075.jpg

I bought the Viair tire kit from amazon. With the air hose, I can reach all 4 corners of the truck.
PB023078.jpg

I also added the pressure gauge to my dash. I ran a 1/4" hose from the tank into the cab.
1378683439826.jpg

I put the compressor kill switch on Aux 1 and the horn is on Aux 2. I couldn't figure out how to tie it into the horn and the aux switch together. So Aux two makes the horns go live! And yes, I do like to toot my own horn... lol...

If you guys have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

Last edited:

CB Freshness

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Joe if I run the compressor on mine where y'all have yours without a bed cover will it get messed up at snowball? And if so do you have any ideas on how to protect it.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CB - the compressor is designed to be in the elements. But the more you protect it the better off you are. Another location I considered was in the bed, but located higher on the inner wall. This will tuck the air intake up under the bed rail a bit. That is what you really need to protect.
Make sure you drain your tank often. It will accumulate quite a bit of water.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good ideas joe!!!
277077f15e970b8e8845167a0f838d29.jpg

But I had one of my own. Since I was drilling holes in my bed I decided to fabricate a bracket and install the compressor in the rear fenderwell.
07623b88f503392285329407209f5369.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29bcfa3222c92c85d69588659410a905.jpg