Replacing the "Natural Amber" Turn Signal Bulbs with Clears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never liked how the orange stock bulb looks when off in the daylight. It just looks off somehow.

Our Raptors come with 3157NA bulbs. I wondered what things might look like with 3157 bulbs instead (no "NA")
l12.jpg

Before:
9022958e.jpg

During; lights off, in the daylight. Passenger side is the stock bulb, driver is the clear replacement
l4.jpg

During; lights on, in the daylight. Passenger side is the stock bulb, driver is the clear replacement
l5.jpg

After
l6.jpg

l7.jpg

l8.jpg

And wouldn't ya know it, I don't like the color of them lit up nearly as much at night (during the day when lit the "amber" is a spot on match for the LEDs. Not so at night). I stopped down my camera trying to highlight the color differences. Nothing is this dim in real life!
l9.jpg

l10.jpg

I turned the hazards on and caught this shot when they were 'on'
l11.jpg

Overall I'm happy enough with the daytime look to put up with the nighttime look. IMHO this is probably the best $1.99 mod you can make to your truck :)

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hate to rain on the parade... but those amber bulbs are used for front turn signals and have been required to be amber in the USA since something like 1978...

Big deal? Probably not. But I prefer to minimize the obvious reasons for getting pulled over... and a white turn signal can be seen a mile away. (looks good though)

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Hate to rain on the parade... but those amber bulbs are used for front turn signals and have been required to be amber in the USA since something like 1978...

Big deal? Probably not. But I prefer to minimize the obvious reasons for getting pulled over... and a white turn signal can be seen a mile away. (looks good though)

yeah, if the loud exhaust and tinted windows don't get me yanked first i will eat my shorts. they blink with a yellowish orange tint they aren't that obvious.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i will eat my shorts

bart-simpson-eat-my-shorts.jpg

By the way, I like what you did with the front of your Raptor :mrgreen:

IMG00184-20100630-1039-1.jpg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya Mark, and you're right to point it out (I should have in the original post). But I'm already screwed up there; no plate and uncovered offroad lights. What's one more fix on the fixit ticket? :wink:

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yes sir, it's not a big issue in my opinion but I got burnt out on being pulled over for small stuff like this a long a time ago. The only reason they do it around here is more to run people off on weekends than anything else. If they can't get you for speeding or loitering, they start pulling you over for misc violations like window tint or no front plates etc. So I keep everything pretty close to legal as possible.

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, it's not a big issue in my opinion but I got burnt out on being pulled over for small stuff like this a long a time ago. The only reason they do it around here is more to run people off on weekends than anything else. If they can't get you for speeding or loitering, they start pulling you over for misc violations like window tint or no front plates etc. So I keep everything pretty close to legal as possible.

Has anyone thought about an LED solution. The amber colored LED's that i used on my TowHookHole lights are clear when off and amber when on.

View attachment 636View attachment 637

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about an LED solution. The amber colored LED's that i used on my TowHookHole lights are clear when off and amber when on.

View attachment 636View attachment 637
Hey now there's a thought! Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R2O75O/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Edit: Looks like those require a "resistor kit" to function correctly as turn signals though. Anyone got a source for a drop in bulb that already is set up for a turn signal application?