2010 SVT Raptor Air Filter Check and Replace 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All,

My 2010 SVT Raptor has 2600 miles on it as of today. I've been out to Anza Borrego desert twice so far, and one Gorman event.

Due to a previous thread in this section, I was curious about checking my factory filter.

Here is what I found and what you will need.

First you will need:

A Ford SVT Raptor
Common Sense
A medium size flat head screwdriver
A replacement air filter (I used a Purolator A35642)

Here is the new filter! $19.99 at Pep Boys

file.jpg

file.jpg

Ok....here is how we change/check the filter.

Step 1 - Park the truck and apply the parking brake. Make sure transmission is in Park. You might want to wait a while until your truck cools down as you will be working near the radiator, otherwise be mindful of the heat.

Step 2 - Pop the hood using the latch inside the cabin near the left footwell. Prop up the hood and make sure it is all the way open.

Step 3 - Identify your air filter housing. It's on the driver's side of the vehicle and it's the largest square looking thing near the driver fender. Here is a picture:

file.jpg

Step 4 - On the left hand side of the filter housing (as you are looking at it standing in front of the Raptor) you will see three or four "hold downs" Simply prise them to the left. They do not get removed from the housing, they simply click away.

Step 5 - You will need to unscrew one screw holding the MAF intake hose. See below:

file.jpg

Step 6 - Undo the MAF electrical connector. There is a RED plastic tab on the bottom that you will slide out towards you. It will unlock the connector and you can pull it gently out.

file.jpg

Step 7 - Now gently pull the filter housing away from the MAF/Intake hose. The plastic filter housing will pivot towards the retaining slats on the driver's side portion of the housing. See below:

file.jpg

Step 8 - This is the TOP of your air filter. Remember this when you replace it. It looks clean because it should be. All the dirt and junk is trapped underneath!!

file.jpg

This is a DIRTY filter and it's only been in the truck 2600 miles!!

file.jpg

Here is the NEW FILTER on the LEFT and the old, dirty filter on the RIGHT:

file.jpg

Notice how THICK the new filter is compared to the old one!! Don't fear, it will fit in the filter housing just fine. See the dirt caked on the old filter in the corner? :shock1:

file.jpg

Step 9 - Inspect the inside of the filter housing after you remove the old filter. Clean out any loose junk and be mindful not to blow any dust or dirt INTO the MAF/Intake hose!!

file.jpg

file.jpg

The Purolator A35642 is currently made in AMERICA! Please try to support the USA with not just your vehicle purchase but also your parts!

Hope this thread helps everyone out!

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICELY done xjr! I was just thinking about this today as I was replacing my own and you could not have explained it any better. I see that your factory air filter is the "thinner" one we discussed earlier. My factory filter was as thick as your new Purolator as is the Motorcraft one I just put in. There seems to have been a re-design at some point and some vehicles got one or the other. Just guessing?

Dan, as you can see, even with the minimal miles on Tims truck, the environment of the AB definitely shortened the life of his filter and required replacment MUCH sooner than the one I just replaced.

Again, nice thread and well done xjr.

FSM06

Note: Unplugging the MAF sensor is very important, a lot of quick lubes and service places pull up on the housing without disconnecting it and stretch the harness. This damages the wiring and creates check engine lights down the road.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up! But how bizarre! Your stock Raptor air filter is the "thin" version the Ford Dealer sold me as a replacement while my stock Raptor air filter is the "thick" version similar to the one you bought at Pep Boys!

I think I'm heading to Pep Boys. I want the thicker filter as it has a LOT more surface area than the thinner version... should flow better.

:rep:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, for taking the time to do research on the filter, do the filter change-out and take pictures and do the write-up.

I KNOW the air filter needs to be changed sooner than called for by the factory depending on vehicle usage/conditions (what IS the factory's suggestion for air filter replacement?).

Hey Tim, I know you're into camping but why did you use a Coleman brand filter???

file.jpg

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I KNOW the air filter needs to be changed sooner than called for by the factory depending on vehicle usage/conditions (what IS the factory's suggestion for air filter replacement?).

Dan, according to the FORD maintenance schedule, every 30,000 miles the air filter is to be replaced. Obviously this is the MAX that the air filter can be used as we can all see by Tim's filter that environmental useage delegates how often we change our filter.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Damon!

A word to the wise: If you're taking your Raptor offroad in any kind of dirty, dusty conditions, do not, I repeat, DO NOT wait 30,000 miles to change your air filter!

Thanks very much to Tim and Mark and everyone else who gave input on the filter issue. I went to Pep Boys and bought the Purolator filter and changed my air filter today. It was incredibly dirty! My Raptor has 8,000 miles on it and I've had it offroad 9 or 10 times (that's where the miles came from driving to/from the expeditions). I'm not waiting that long again. For $20 plus tax I'm going to change the filter every time I change the oil depending on how many offroad trips I've taken.

By the way, you must remove the MAF wire in order to put the air filter box cover back on - you have to lift up the left side to insert the tabs into the bottom of the air box and to do that the MAF wire must be removed (mine was an absolute ****** to remove).

I tell ya, that filter was sooo dirty...

You_Dirty_Mind.jpg

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Damon!

A word to the wise: If you're taking your Raptor offroad in any kind of dirty, dusty conditions, do not, I repeat, DO NOT wait 30,000 miles to change your air filter!

Thanks very much to Tim and Mark and everyone else who gave input on the filter issue. I went to Pep Boys and bought the Purolator filter and changed my air filter today. It was incredibly dirty! My Raptor has 8,000 miles on it and I've had it offroad 9 or 10 times (that's where the miles came from driving to/from the expeditions). I'm not waiting that long again. For $20 plus tax I'm going to change the filter every time I change the oil depending on how many offroad trips I've taken.

By the way, you must remove the MAF wire in order to put the air filter box cover back on - you have to lift up the left side to insert the tabs into the bottom of the air box and to do that the MAF wire must be removed (mine was an absolute ****** to remove).

I tell ya, that filter was sooo dirty...

Pics or it didn't happen Coyoteman. :banana:

Do you still have the dirty filter?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All,

My 2010 SVT Raptor has 2600 miles on it as of today. I've been out to Anza Borrego desert twice so far, and one Gorman event.

Due to a previous thread in this section, I was curious about checking my factory filter.

Here is what I found and what you will need.

First you will need:

A Ford SVT Raptor
Common Sense
A medium size flat head screwdriver
A replacement air filter (I used a Purolator A35642)

SNIP

I went down to Pep Boys to get the parts...

Ford SVT Raptor - check (I already had this)
A medium size flat head screwdriver - check
A replacement air filter (I used a Purolator A35642) - check

But they told me "common sense" was on backorder and they didn't know when they would be getting more. The Ford dealer didn't have any either.

So what do I do now xjrguy???:wink:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking about changing my Raptor's air filter for some time now. I know how much dust my Raptor's eaten - heck, I've brought many pounds of desert sand and dust back to my house (it's been left on my street after each hand wash) - I even have lots of sand I shoveled off the street and onto my lawn :)

But I didn't get motivated to change it until the thread here was started. Once I saw Tim's crud encrusted filter I knew mine would be worse because my Raptor has been offroad 2-3 times more often than his garage queen.

Yesterday was filter buying and changing day. I went to Pep Boys and bought the Purolator A35642 air filter (you can puro-now or you can puro-later) for 20 bucks plus another 20 bucks tax (hey, it's Taxifornia). I brought it home and started the filter swap-out process.

As Tim explained, you need common sense, your hands, a flat bladed screwdriver and a new filter. Flip the 3 spring clips off the left side of the air box releasing the top of the air box. You still need to unscrew the hoseclamp (that's where the screwdriver comes in to the party) and pull the tube away from the air box tube and remove the Mass Air Flow sensor plug/wire.

Rectangular box holding the pretty yellow new (and clean) air filter:

IMG_2204.jpg

Close up view of the box (nice box!):

IMG_2205.jpg

The Raptor's heart exposed for all to see (you can see the factory "cold air intake" and all its plumbing):

IMG_2208.jpg

A close up of the Mass Air Flow sensor wire. The plug has a red release clip on the underside - you pull this out (don't break your fingernail doing this) and then the MAF plug should be able to be pulled off of the tube. Should be but mine was very very difficult to remove. You must remove the plug being careful to not pull on or harm the wires. The plug/wires need to be removed so you can lift up the left side of the air box cover to insert the cover's tabs into the air box when you're putting the air box cover back on the air box. Don't try to do this without removing the MAF sensor plug/wires.

IMG_2209.jpg

Here's the top of the very dirty air filter sitting in the air box:

IMG_2210.jpg

And here's the dirty bastage - it did its job well bringing home plenty of desert dirt keeping the Raptor's engine from eating it. Note that my Raptor's filter is the full-height unit not the shorter one that others (Mark?) have reported as being in their Raptors.

IMG_2211.jpg