Long Tube Headers and Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks DD I see you are in the same boat as me. I am trying to take advantage of the great offer freedom motorsports is offering. As far as install I will do it myself with some help from a friend or two. So the cost won't be as terrible. I'm looking for more power and with out spending thousands on forced induction this is the next step...plus I am missing the raw nasty sound of my last truck. Its time to make this raptor ROAR!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shorty headers eliminate this problem, sure you get half the HP but having zero hassle when getting a inspection its worth it to me. Just need 10 ppl to commit and SW will produce them

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rather long tubes but that is a plan B

The more I think about the shorties tho the more I think the small gain is not worth the amount of work and money. At least the long tubes give a decent amount of power

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I talked to Mike at 5Star tuning, he told me that for headers WITH the high flow cats there shouldn't be an issue. There begins to be a possible issue when ordering the offroad pipes minus the cats. Mike told me that he has never had an issue with any of his tuning for headers "With Cats" failing inspections. Although the tuning can adjust for the O2's to be on or off, he can also adjust the air fuel mixture, etc to accommodate for the headers.

The only drawback to that? The headers with the high flow cats cost more. Sorry for the delayed response to this thread, I just saw it.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No problem Chris. He recently told me there "may" be an issue and we will talk next week when he gets back.

I also have spoke with Dave from KHC who I just found out is in a similar situation. He will be in touch with me.

Next thought is 2 tunes. One with o2's off with high flow cats or no cats. Then second tune is for inspection. Turn on the o2's and Fab the stock cats back in where the high flows or cat delete pipe is...of course this is of there are no clearance issues which I think there may be

Thoughts?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say 100% one way or the other, but I have to defer to the "tunas" on this one. While I would LOVE to say, "Oh yeah, you won't have any issues, just install them and go", I just can't bring myself to do that...lol

I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait to talk to Mike when he gets back to the shop and let him go over the fine details for you. I personally wouldn't see a problem with passing inspection with the high flow cats, but I CAN see issues with the off road pipes. But then again, my REAL world experience is more in the diesel tuning and what is possible with them. I have been able to help folks pass inspections hooked to the "Machine" for inspecting in NC on diesels with all of the emissions (IE: EGR, PCV, etc) removed completely. But of course we are comparing apples to oranges now.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hope he can do it but I hear mixed things and most say no and the people who say yes haven't actually done it. I am hoping mime can do something for me. I have phone calls and emails in just about every where I could think of.

Kooks makes "green cats" they are made to pass in Cali so I know they could work but they are almost $400 each. Meaning it would run me nearly $800 in cats. Yeah I'll pass on that one

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone ever use anti foulers? they space the O2 back further so it senses less flow...
Yeah, they are kind of misleading, as the O2 is pulled out of the flow to help reduce fouling from too much fuel or water, they still sense the exact same gases in the exhaust.
I have seen metered air ports installed upstream from the O2 sensors to "fool" them into thinking the motor is running leaner. Whether or not that improves performance is questionable too.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, they are kind of misleading, as the O2 is pulled out of the flow to help reduce fouling from too much fuel or water, they still sense the exact same gases in the exhaust.
I have seen metered air ports installed upstream from the O2 sensors to "fool" them into thinking the motor is running leaner. Whether or not that improves performance is questionable too.

so do u think the anti foulers will work or no? i am searching them now and many seem to say it works. one guy even put a little steel wool between 2 of them to filter it out a bit more.