Wrench Symbol & 9 Codes "Offroading" - What did I do wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some odd reason mine does this when I'm getting close to needing an oil change. Throws all sorts of goofy codes from seat belt restraint not working all the way to downhill assist fault. I change the oil or add more and that seems to fix everything.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you hold traction control until advance traction control turned off? Sometimes if you go hard the collision warning and all that go crazy.
I did not, duly noted. Just looked up this feature and I get it now...forgive me for assuming traction control off meant traction control off. Lol

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
have you changed the tire size in the computer?

Check your ABS sensors to make sure one was not damaged in the romp.

Its an odd collection of codes for sure.

One of them is coming from the dash computer, which is located on the reverse side of the plastic kick panel below the glovebox. anyone kick it? maybe it got wet?

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your ABS Sensors on each wheel. They are somewhat vulnerable and if damaged, they throw a lot of codes.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why I didn’t think it should matter at all with the codes I got but if I can replicate I’ll definitely pull the tune off and try to replicate it again.

Does anyone more well versed with the programming behind the modes think that sport mode may have done it? All of the steering items that came up in PSCM is why I ask this. Sport mode is the only mode that changes steering to sport and I’m curious if throwing that wheel back and forth a few times just gave the truck sensory overload or something. Baja has steering mode in normal which is ideally what I should’ve done here then switch it to 2H.

Sport mode will not cause this issue. Aftermarket programming appears to be the culprit. I've never seen P0600 set on a vehicle with a factory tune, regardless of the type of networking issue present. It is not a common DTC. Here is the definition from the Ford PC/ED:

upload_2020-5-17_21-56-59.png

It appears that the invalid data originated in the PCM and was then send to other modules, resulting in the DTCs you found. Aftermarket tunes will never be as robust and thoroughly vetted as factory calibrations; they don't have the resources to test the vehicle for tens of thousands of hours under every condition imaginable. Sounds like you exceeded the limitations of the tune parameters with the driving you were doing; I would clear the DTCs and go from there.

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven off-road numerous times for work in Sport mode and have experienced no issues.

I live in PA so it's always mountain gravel/dirt/mud (and snow-covered) access roads to cell towers but I also don't drive aggressively since I'm typically over 100 miles from home. I agree with FordTechOne, Sport mode isn't the issue.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why I didn’t think it should matter at all with the codes I got but if I can replicate I’ll definitely pull the tune off and try to replicate it again.

Does anyone more well versed with the programming behind the modes think that sport mode may have done it? All of the steering items that came up in PSCM is why I ask this. Sport mode is the only mode that changes steering to sport and I’m curious if throwing that wheel back and forth a few times just gave the truck sensory overload or something. Baja has steering mode in normal which is ideally what I should’ve done here then switch it to 2H.

Reading through the group troubleshooting through all the different modes, settings, and features makes me feel like my gen 1 is carburated compared to the gen 2 haha

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Reading through the group troubleshooting through all the different modes, settings, and features makes me feel like my gen 1 is carburated compared to the gen 2 haha

trust me dude. I'll take troubleshooting fuel pump issues on a gen1 all damn day over a couple hours trying to get all the damn computers to stop screaming when they flip out in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode will not cause this issue. Aftermarket programming appears to be the culprit. I've never seen P0600 set on a vehicle with a factory tune, regardless of the type of networking issue present. It is not a common DTC. Here is the definition from the Ford PC/ED:

View attachment 143878

It appears that the invalid data originated in the PCM and was then send to other modules, resulting in the DTCs you found. Aftermarket tunes will never be as robust and thoroughly vetted as factory calibrations; they don't have the resources to test the vehicle for tens of thousands of hours under every condition imaginable. Sounds like you exceeded the limitations of the tune parameters with the driving you were doing; I would clear the DTCs and go from there.
Thanks for the info. Where were you able to pull this info up from?