Wrench Symbol & 9 Codes "Offroading" - What did I do wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I haven't gotten to really take my Raptor (2019 802A+Tech w/ 12k miles) offroading yet, but I decided to have some good fun with it yesterday. I work in commercial construction management so I had a pretty large jobsite covered in sand and dirt. After only about 3 minutes of having some fun sliding the thing around, I took it back on to the road and started to drive home. The wrench symbol appeared after about 20 seconds on the road and it seemed to go into a partial limp mode. From what I've read I understand that limp mode doesn't let you past 20. I could go 40 but it was INSANELY slow, and it seemed like the truck was preventing the boost from getting past about 5psi. I pulled over to the side of the road, shut it down, waited a few minutes and started back up. Same issue with the wrench symbol and the engine light now on as well.

I was only about 5 miles away from home so I made it back and pulled up Forscan. I got 9 different codes and attached a screenshot that shows all of them. I reset them, and everything worked flawlessly. Driven about 30 miles since both normal and aggressively on the road with no issues. My mods only include an AFE intake, Boomba BOV adapter, & Cobb Accessport running Stage 1 93 tune on 93.

So did I do something that would cause this or do I need to bring it in? First thought is that I had it in Sport Mode, did that mess it up? Maybe I should've been in baja and set it to 2H? I did have traction control and lane assist turned off and was sliding it around a good bit. My worry is that I actually take it offroading and something like this happens in a not-so-ideal location.

2020-05-16_13-52-41.png

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might be the gateway module. One thing you can do is disconnect the battery for 5 min and then see if it reoccurs. It if happens again, agree with smuf, the dealership is in your future. just make sure you don't clear the codes when you go in.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cobb Accessport running Stage 1 93 tune on 93.

So did I do something that would cause this

Ok well this is definitely a possible source of your codes. If they show up again I'd clear your tune and then see if the codes come back.

Don't take a tuned truck throwing codes to the dealership...if they notice the tune they'll tell you the same thing take it off then come back.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting that 6 of the 9 codes involve communication with the ECM/PCM.

Lot of possibilities from faulty sensor to PCM data issue. I would pull the tune and see if it reoccurs. I agree with @realjone88 you don’t want to roll into the dealer with a tune.

Under certain conditions the PCM and TCM in all cars will look for certain lines of code to tell it how to react, if that code is missing or gives incorrect data, could throw a code. Your tune should in theory only have only re-mapped the fuel, timing, and spark and turbo, but who knows if it altered some parameters the PCM needed or expected to keep things running smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting that 6 of the 9 codes involve communication with the ECM/PCM.

Lot of possibilities from faulty sensor to PCM data issue. I would pull the tune and see if it reoccurs. I agree with @realjone88 you don’t want to roll into the dealer with a tune.

Under certain conditions the PCM and TCM in all cars will look for certain lines of code to tell it how to react, if that code is missing or gives incorrect data, could throw a code. Your tune should in theory only have only re-mapped the fuel, timing, and spark and turbo, but who knows if it altered some parameters the PCM needed or expected to keep things running smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is why I didn’t think it should matter at all with the codes I got but if I can replicate I’ll definitely pull the tune off and try to replicate it again.

Does anyone more well versed with the programming behind the modes think that sport mode may have done it? All of the steering items that came up in PSCM is why I ask this. Sport mode is the only mode that changes steering to sport and I’m curious if throwing that wheel back and forth a few times just gave the truck sensory overload or something. Baja has steering mode in normal which is ideally what I should’ve done here then switch it to 2H.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why I didn’t think it should matter at all with the codes I got but if I can replicate I’ll definitely pull the tune off and try to replicate it again.

Does anyone more well versed with the programming behind the modes think that sport mode may have done it? All of the steering items that came up in PSCM is why I ask this. Sport mode is the only mode that changes steering to sport and I’m curious if throwing that wheel back and forth a few times just gave the truck sensory overload or something. Baja has steering mode in normal which is ideally what I should’ve done here then switch it to 2H.
You can change the steering modes without changing the driveline modes. There is a button the wheel that looks like a steering wheel that lets you change from normal, to sport to comfort.