Rust where bed contacts rear frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After arguing with the Service Manager over this, he did submit it to Ford and it was approved for repair under the warranty. It is going to a third-party body shop to get fixed tomorrow.

If you have this issue and it bothers you, insist that it be fixed. There is no excuse for this problem and the only way Ford is going to learn to take more care in putting these trucks together is if it costs them money in warranty repairs.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After arguing with the Service Manager over this, he did submit it to Ford and it was approved for repair under the warranty. It is going to a third-party body shop to get fixed tomorrow.

If you have this issue and it bothers you, insist that it be fixed. There is no excuse for this problem and the only way Ford is going to learn to take more care in putting these trucks together is if it costs them money in warranty repairs.

I didn't do anything but move my bumper down to stop the rubbing but you are right. Ford should take more care in assembly.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After arguing with the Service Manager over this, he did submit it to Ford and it was approved for repair under the warranty. It is going to a third-party body shop to get fixed tomorrow...

I'm glad to see that your dealer is taking care of you, TheWolf. Be sure to come back and post your results when you get your truck back; I'll be here if you need me to jump in and help.

Crystal

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My '14 was the exact same way.
The Dearborn plant assembled the trailer hitch so high up that it was actually contacting and rubbing on the truck bed and causing the rust.
I suspect that there are many Raptors that have this contact when there shuld be a small gap.

Every raptor I've looked at is built this way. Poor design as I think there should be a slight gap as well. But then it will also add cost and time.
A new gap to inspect and levelness of the trailer hitch.

To the OP. The rusty sucks and I would also be upset as well. I think the dealer tried to help you out by trying to fix it (incorrectly). But in part they probably are correct that all of the trucks are that way. Have you seen any that are built differently or do you know if Ford has a spec for the installation of the hitch that includes that it shall not contact the bed? If so you would have a unanimous case for all F-150 owners.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every raptor I've looked at is built this way. Poor design as I think there should be a slight gap as well. But then it will also add cost and time.
A new gap to inspect and levelness of the trailer hitch.

To the OP. The rusty sucks and I would also be upset as well. I think the dealer tried to help you out by trying to fix it (incorrectly). But in part they probably are correct that all of the trucks are that way. Have you seen any that are built differently or do you know if Ford has a spec for the installation of the hitch that includes that it shall not contact the bed? If so you would have a unanimous case for all F-150 owners.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com
I checked six new F-150s on the lot and they all had gaps. The one Raptor they had was not gapped and already rusting.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third-party body shop fixed the rust and gapped the brackets correctly. Total invoice cost back to the dealer was $90.87, which is not nearly enough considering how much of my time was wasted arguing over this issue.

Hey Crystal, is there anyone at Ford who would be interested in giving the "Fixed Operations Director" at Wendle Ford a tune-up in customer service?

Attachments

• 20140618_182316.jpg
    20140618_182316.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20140618_182340.jpg
    20140618_182340.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 76

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Hey Crystal, is there anyone at Ford who would be interested in giving the "Fixed Operations Director" at Wendle Ford a tune-up in customer service?

Tell me more, TheWolf. Shoot a PM my way with your full name, daytime phone, dealership info, and any specifics you'd like me to include; I'll get this sent up the line for review.

Crystal

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the local dealership, pictures taken and they had to send them for approval to repair under warranty, the truck is two months old with 3,000 miles, LOL!