Raptor Missed a gear during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tommy21

Tommy21

Reaction score
Depending on your time at redline, thats another issue that would need to be considered. That was the equivalence of a money shift.
I let off the throttle immediately, I don't think it damaged anything... but I guess you never know.

OP
OP
Tommy21

Tommy21

Reaction score
Chula Vista Ford found quite a few electrical faults but couldn't replicate the transmission error. No repair or update.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get yourself a Dash cam to record this. I'm not fond of the TCM module that programs itself every start up , not sure how it works exactly just speculating . I had it happen on Gen 2 3 times now . Start up truck and wouldn't move just revs, Shut off open door wait a 1 minute and restart all is good .

Last edited:

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Def sucks but probably should have initiated lemon law when it was in shop for 2 months.

I, admittedly, take a different tack when a vehicle is like that. I instantly trade it for a new one. Life’s too short.

Oh, and @Nex you can lose fluid but I don’t think you can loose it. Fluid can let loose from a busted hose or loose connection. ;)

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Def sucks but probably should have initiated lemon law when it was in shop for 2 months.

I, admittedly, take a different tack when a vehicle is like that. I instantly trade it for a new one. Life’s too short.

Oh, and @Nex you can lose fluid but I don’t think you can loose it. Fluid can let loose from a busted hose or loose connection. ;)

9c84788239284a20f9df342d90280e5c.gif

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another post about the computer and all the lights (reverse, brake, hazards) flashing with the screen and drive modes inoperable and flashing. That was two months of shop time, a new fuse box, a few cooked sensors and all new wiring harness at 2k miles.

wow.. 2 months in the shop.. damn!

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had this happen to me twice, both times happened after i had used the paddles shortly before the event. Example: come off a highway to a tight 270 degree turn exit ramp. I downshifted a few times coming into the exit, but by the time I was at the end of the exit ramp the truck had moved itself back out of holding the gears manually back to fully automatic (i.e. the gear indicator disappeared and the truck upshifted on its own). At the end of the exit ramp as i was merging onto another highway, i floored it to get into a tight spot in traffic, the truck attempted to downshift then revved to redline with the tach turning fully red. i immediately got off the gas and slapped the upshift paddle a couple of times rapidly and everything went back to normal.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your time at redline, thats another issue that would need to be considered. That was the equivalence of a money shift.
Was it though? Redline exists to keep an engine within it's designed-for operating range. A money shift is an over-rev that results in an engine running well above the designed-for RPM. I'd say those are two very different scenarios.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i've had this happen to me twice, both times happened after i had used the paddles shortly before the event. Example: come off a highway to a tight 270 degree turn exit ramp. I downshifted a few times coming into the exit, but by the time I was at the end of the exit ramp the truck had moved itself back out of holding the gears manually back to fully automatic (i.e. the gear indicator disappeared and the truck upshifted on its own). At the end of the exit ramp as i was merging onto another highway, i floored it to get into a tight spot in traffic, the truck attempted to downshift then revved to redline with the tach turning fully red. i immediately got off the gas and slapped the upshift paddle a couple of times rapidly and everything went back to normal.
Are you sure it didn’t break the rear tires loose? That’s a lot of power to put down in 2WD, especially immediately after a downshift.