Opinion on buying a 2017 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thrandul0

Reaction score
Like to start off, I've never owned a raptor before but I've always wanted to eventually own one. I have a 98 dodge ram, so this would be new for me.

I came across a 2017 Raptor with 107k miles for 38k. Carfax says 3 owners and originally started most its life in Texas (about 100k). So I'm not exactly sure what problems I should be looking for when I go check it out in person. I am being cautious about this since this would be my first time buying a raptor, so I don't want to jump the gun and find out I have a boat with a hole in it.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score

200.gif

jdholder

Reaction score
He only difference with 2017 vs 2019 and newer is Live Valve Shocks.

Also, some claim the 2017 turbos are smaller. I’ve never confirmed that, nor do I feel like it’s a big enough difference to matter. Even if true.

I bought my 2017 in 2020 with 50k miles purposefully without a sunroof - so no leaks.

I’ve put 70k more on it in 3.5 years. I had phasers done at 115k via an extended warranty ($300 deductible) And I just had the front IWE Hubs replaced at 120k ($300 deductible)

The truck has been solid with just preventative maintenance and a single shock rebuild.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rather spend 5-10k more for half the mileage but that's just me.

At 100k, if no service records you'll be spending thousands getting all the fluids/shocks/maintenance done.

jdholder

Reaction score
At half the mileage, you will need to get the shocks rebuilt, you should be doing fluids regularly anyway and I’d rather have the peace of mind knowing I did the maintenance or a shop I trust. The ONLY thing I’d make sure of is that the Phasers had been done or you have a warranty that will cover that job.