2017 - transmission replace, brakes, moonroof, door latches - arrived at the fork in the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas - just sharing for feedback and perhaps some guidance.

My 2017 was a Dec 2016 build. Original owner, 74K miles. Daily driver, off road on the beach a few times a year. Oil life around 50%. Dealer only servicing. Overall, I'm pretty easy on the truck.

Scheduled regular maintenance with a handful of wear/tear issues and also a few extended warranty issues for review:

- Harsh shifting from P or R to D, daily harsh shifting while driving under 40, occasionally slams into gear at higher speeds. Have had the PCM tables reset probably 4x in the last 3 years due to this issue plus whatever number of related TSB's.
- Front left grinding noise - history with IWE and hubs - dealer appled TSB and replaced hub and IWE components. Issue returns every 3-4 months. Also noticed metal to metal grinding which was new and has been confirmed that truck needs new front-end brakes (pads and rotors).
- Frozen door lock actuators - customer satisfaction service
- Moonroof single-press button retract not working also being serviced
- Hood latch - warranty repair

My service advisor gave me the rundown:

- Tech took truck on test drive with computer to diagnose transmission. Results were something to do with the torque converter. Needs transmission replacement. On the work order line for the trans, "Jasper Ford" was noted in the Misc. section. Wasn't sure what that meant?
- IWE passed vacuum test but will re-check when servicing is complete.
- Brakes were normal wear and tear
- Have to talk with Advisor on Monday as they are charging me for the moonroof repair which I thought should be covered under my ext. warranty.
- All other items to be serviced under warranty.
- Total cost is roughly $2,300

I'm definitely a little disappointed in hearing about the transmission but given the history of my particular truck, I'm not surprised. I've been diligent in scheduled maintenance and overall pretty easy on my truck on a daily basis with the summertime surf fishing and occasional soft sand runs on the beach for fun. It's been a love/hate relationship with this truck over the past 7.5yrs of ownership. In 2016, $72K seemed like a steep but worthy price for a what was deemed the pinnacle of high performance off road trucks. It's been a fun truck but it has also been in the shop on a fairly regular basis (2-3x per year) for warranty work such has transmission flashes, IWE, and rather minor annoyances (moonroof, doors, latches, etc.)

Welcome any feedback from my brothers on this forum. Appreciate the support.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2,300 for a new trans installed With a new warranty?. They couldn't take my money fast enough

Probably 5500 in parts alone
agree. Advisor said they were a week out to get the new trans from Ford In Dearborn but it was odd to me to see a different dealer, Jasper Ford, on the trans order? Do dealers order transmissions from other dealers?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jasper makes me think of the rebuilt engine/trans people that have been around forever. Unless there is a Jasper Ford near you. I could see them buying or trading out for something

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper makes me think of the rebuilt engine/trans people that have been around forever. Unless there is a Jasper Ford near you. I could see them buying or trading out for something

that was my thinking also. I’ll call on Monday to find out.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Dealer only servicing.
It s not specially your best point... May, it's your main problem,well I am not serious.
Thanks for feedback, did you or should I say did they make a transmission oil and filter change ?
Sometimes it can help, sometimes not...

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper will be a remanufactured tranny. Ask your service advisor about the price difference between reman and new as well as the warranty on both.

Jasper states a 3 year 100k mile warranty on their website.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s guys. I did purchase an 8yr/100k extended warranty from flood ford right after I took delivery in Jan 2017. Wouldn’t this qualify for a new ford transmission?

Is the manufacturer transmission warranty 5 yrs / 60k miles?