Help - feeling a little Raptor regret

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Entirely possible. I’ll pull them off and torque them properly when I get it home. Good suggestion.
Check and make they did not smash dirt or something in the aluminum wheel face. While it’s up grab the top of the wheel and check for a loose wheel bearing.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a new dealer, that sucks there wasn’t more due diligence done before purchase. Now just find someone who can make it run properly again.
Agree. Unfortunately, that's how dealers are anymore. They are all full of idiots who have no mechanical knowledge and the dealers themselves just don't give a shit. Prob just want you to buy a new truck.

abelincoln

Reaction score
yeah red flags all over this service department - I second the folks saying find another dealer/service shop who knows what they're doing

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
yeah red flags all over this service department - I second the folks saying find another dealer/service shop who knows what they're doing

Yep. They called me today to say their Hunter alignment rake was out of calibration. The Hunter Rep fixed their issue and the alignment is all set. I get about 5 miles on the highway from the dealership and my brand new front left IWE is grinding away. I knew I probably had a vacuum leak someplace. Oh well, I'll run in 4A until I get it into my local dealer that has to be more competent. Other good news is I got 18.7 MPG on the way home in 4A and 16.1 MPG in 4A when I dropped it off to the dealer in the first place. I reset both ways before the trip. Front bearings must have been really bad. I didn't hear them but who could over the IWE grinding.

At any rate, happy to have it back and now I'll just drive it. 125,000 mile warranty so who cares I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
If you do end up driving it back, check the tire pressures. Many dealers end up putting around 50-55 in the tires and it will ride terribly. You want somewhere around 38 front, 35 rear, it makes quite a difference in ride.
I did drop the rear tires down to 36 psi (warm) and it did make a difference. Thanks!
Still odd that it rode much better before going in for service with 38 psi cold all around. Definitely feels like a rear tire issue. I'll get it road force balanced soon and see.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The door placard says 38/38 cold, which I might use if I was hauling 1000 plus pounds of cargo. The Raptor Assault team recommend 32F 28R cold pressure as a best case compromise on running unloaded, giving a ‘flat’ tire footprint and good traction to/from and while off roading. On the street, if you run 38 you’ll wear the inside of the tire MUCH faster than at more realistic pressures. That’s another trick Ford used to eke out more range on the Rap. You’ll give up some economy and max range, but it’s not terrible. Most of the time I’m running around 35F, 33 rear maybe as low as 34/32 on the street. I’ve had success on the street at that psi, but if I’m going to off road I’ll lower the range a bit or quite a bit as needed - I keep a compressor in the truck.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
The door placard says 38/38 cold, which I might use if I was hauling 1000 plus pounds of cargo. The Raptor Assault team recommend 32F 28R cold pressure as a best case compromise on running unloaded, giving a ‘flat’ tire footprint and good traction to/from and while off roading. On the street, if you run 38 you’ll wear the inside of the tire MUCH faster than at more realistic pressures. That’s another trick Ford used to eke out more range on the Rap. You’ll give up some economy and max range, but it’s not terrible. Most of the time I’m running around 35F, 33 rear maybe as low as 34/32 on the street. I’ve had success on the street at that psi, but if I’m going to off road I’ll lower the range a bit or quite a bit as needed - I keep a compressor in the truck.
Thanks. I wondered about how the front tires would wear with the noticeable camber. I’ll knock the fronts down too.

Do you run balance beads? Friend suggested I switch to those.