Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could you both be right? Ford engineered a transmission to work over a wide range of platforms which each has their own design criteria?
No reason to have the heavy duty Raptor parts in a standard 2 wheel drive. I did find this
6R60 was used on Explorer, never on F-Series. As mentioned, Ford removed all of the torque ratings from service publications because they’re not relevant/applicable. For example, the standard F-150, Raptor, and Raptor R all use the 10R80. Using the previously mentioned “method” of determining torque capacity, a stock R would grossly exceed the transmission’s “torque rating”.

MTF is claiming that the stock 6R80 will be reliable behind a Supercharged 7,000lb Raptor, which is simply inaccurate and misleading. It will survive initially, and if you don’t blow through a clutch pack the planetaries are the next failure point. When the front planet carrier fails it takes out the entire transmission, so you’re much better off upgrading then waiting for it to fail.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, you keep on making up lies and you are just a joke. You are pathetic!!!
As a parts counter guy how would you know what Ford and SVT did with Whipple.
You are assuming usually.
Let’s make this simple. Show me a single “lie” I have posted.

We’re still waiting for you to show us where Ford rates the 6R80 for “600” HP. You claimed it, but it was made up, just like the rest of the nonsense you post.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ignoring the fight above, lmao, as someone who's been around high hp mustangs since the 6r80 was introduced, they're solid transmissions up to around the 600 torque range in mustangs. Yes, there are plenty with more but it's probably not going to be as reliable. I'd have to imagine that a Whipple on an already heavy truck, would add a lot more stress to the transmission at lower torque figures.

I'd probably look into a converter and upgrade the clutch packs at the very least. Suncoast does a lot of 6r80 stuff and has a converter and clutch pack set that would get you around more reliably than the stock unit ever could. Power by the Hour also has a good amount of 6r80 experience.

Talk to someone experienced with working on these transmissions first, but that's just where I would start if I was in your shoes. Goodluck
It’s hardly a fight when one party has zero knowledge and makes it up as he goes.

Facts > Feelings

I concur, 600 lb-ft is about the transmission’s limit in a Mustang application. When you double the weight and triple the rotating mass of the vehicle in an F-150 application, the ceiling is much lower. If you hammer on it, its not going to live very long. All of the torn up planetaries I’ve seen have been in S/C F-150s.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6R60 was used on Explorer, never on F-Series. As mentioned, Ford removed all of the torque ratings from service publications because they’re not relevant/applicable. For example, the standard F-150, Raptor, and Raptor R all use the 10R80. Using the previously mentioned “method” of determining torque capacity, a stock R would grossly exceed the transmission’s “torque rating”.

MTF is claiming that the stock 6R80 will be reliable behind a Supercharged 7,000lb Raptor, which is simply inaccurate and misleading. It will survive initially, and if you don’t blow through a clutch pack the planetaries are the next failure point. When the front planet carrier fails it takes out the entire transmission, so you’re much better off upgrading then waiting for it to fail.
Dang FTO!!!!!!! Do you like anything about the gen 1? My Roush Is a ticking time bomb... With a 180k on it. Just waiting on it to spontaneously combust in the driveway. Sad part the original owner loved to Launch it. Found the evidence with the Axel perches of that. I guess it is tick tock.....tick tock for me.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’ve all seen the videos. You could put 1000ft/lbs or 400ft/lbs in a mustang. The transmission won’t be the first to fail, it’ll be the tires and then the driver.

OP
OP
P

PipeHitter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Guardrail - Believe the output shaft sensor is in the lead frame. I've replace that assembly twice now, so fairly confident I've eliminated that possibility.

@New recaros and @mprice1234 - I am unable to go back to stock tune as I have a whipple installed.

@FordTechOne - Thanks for the input and helping me eliminate that it's most likely not the tune.

@MTF - Good idea, I checked the harness and it is fine. Previous owner had the power commander set at the second to lowest setting. Obviously can't attest to where he might have had it before. Regardless, my issue now.

@BSouders80 - Could you elaborate on your last sentence? Quicker in the long run? Not happy with MS Racing?

@ThrillSeeker24 - Appreciate the input. I'm at a crossroad on either to rebuild it stronger, or purchase a reman with warranty. Both options are quite a bit of $$ especially compared to 5.0 6r80 I see out there.

@Gumby - Not too familiar with the Roush setups. Was yours supercharged originally when purchased? How has your transmission been holding up?

Again, appreciate all the input.

To be honest, I'm experiencing a little sticker shock all the way around. Whether its a reman from Ford (~5k installed), rebuild (~5.5k installed) or built (~6-9k not installed). Junk yards seem to be ~ 1,600 and up with high mileage. 5.0 6r80 transmissions are cheaper, and I've read where a few people claim they bolted up fine, but they are different part # so something has to be different.

Reman vs stock rebuild vs upgraded: My truck has 139k miles before the tranny gave up the ghost. I don't know how the previous owner drove it. I see many people with supercharged Raptors with stock 6r80 and tons of miles. I most likely will not have this truck another 100k miles, so I'm not sure it makes sense for me to spend the $$ on a built transmission if another stock one will give me at least 80-100k miles? I don't off road, drag race, or contantly smash the throttle all over the place. I enjoy knowing its there, and every now and then romping on the interstate passing someone etc.

Anyone ever pull their transmission on their back? I don't have a lift. I'm mechanically inclined, but not sure how bad this would be without a lift. I've been quoted ~1k to pull and replace. To be honest I think that may be worth not having to deal with it.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Gumby - Not too familiar with the Roush setups. Was yours supercharged originally when purchased? How has your transmission been holding up?
Yes.....It came with a Roush. The previous owners (2) put a 168k on the truck. First was 13k and the rest was by the second. He (2) Was Very good with his maintenance and intervals of maintenance. He let the truck EAT a lot. This was confirmed with him on a phone call. I have had the truck a year it is my wife's daly. It will live an easy rest of days. LOL
The truck had the fluid and filter changed at 6k, 60k, 120k, and is due as I type this. It had NO issues that I know of Except the original. The first owner forced Ford to buy it back (Lemon Law) something was wrong with the trans. It is the reason I got such a good deal on the truck. I figured That was 160k ago trans should be good. BUT you never know it could spontaneously combust in the driveway According to FTO. LOL It dose have a Super charger on it.
I know this is a long winded post. BUT the hate of the Super charged/ forced induction 6.2 is real. Have some had problems? ......yes. will they ALL have Problems?..... NO. FTO has a point if about the bearings and I am sure it is true..(He knows stuff) It is the weak point. In a chain there is ALWAYS a weak link. But the transmission is built well. What HP and TQ is it rated for?.. Don't know don't care. I am not getting into that argument. That is a paper argument. The proof is in the driveway. 180k No window in the block. and still moves and is not on Fire..... Yet... LOL

SuburbanJake

Reaction score
So with the dust settled..

What about going with a built performance transmission instead? I have one in cart ready to pull trigger. I would love to add the whipple TRX killer package but leaning more towards staying N/A and doing the performance trans with 4.56 gearing.

Trans has billet shafts, billet TC with exedy clutches blah blah tons of goodies with it. Seems this would be a viable option for both. Thoughts?

Yes it is 5 grand so i get it not a cheap upgrade but neither is Whipple for 11k. I have 20k in mods on my “slow antiquated” truck and still love it!