Raptor Assault was AWESOME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got back yesterday from Raptor Assault. What a great trip it was. Perfect weather the whole week. The school is really well run, by some very nice people (hey, they put up with me!). Some good, fun, trail running through some amazingly scenic areas, they also have some nice track set ups. The side hilling exercise I would have assumed would roll the truck, pretty freaky thing to do. It was nice to learn all the fine points, advantages/disadvantages, of the different modes in the truck. We had John and Nate Williams as instructors. Really knowledgeable professionals, they give you a lot of information and training, and keep the fun in it at the same time. It kind of reminded me of a good firearms training course, have fun, learn stuff, but you still need discipline, and don't be a ********. The trucks are nice, really well maintained. and pretty much look new.

I got there 2 days early so I could take a day and go up to Alta and Snowbird, than the next day I went out to the Bonneville Salt Flats. The Salt Flats are a must see, if you have time. One of the most impressive things I've ever seen, after seeing it in movies and pictures my whole life. I got my Corolla rental up to 112 on the salt. :hat: It had no more! I was really surprised that I was the only one out there not driving around at 30-40 mph. There was maybe a dozen vehicles stretched out along the lake bed. Everyone but me had all-wheel/4 wheel drive, they don't know what a great off road vehicle a Corolla rental is! I took a while to get the lay of it and figure out where the course was and it's condition, and then started doing runs. I'd really like to go back there sometime with something with a lot more balls.

Obligatory jump picture included. Big thank you to everyone at Raptor Assault.

Attachments

• Raptor jump - Copy.JPG
    Raptor jump - Copy.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Salt 2 (2).jpg
    Salt 2 (2).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 179
  • Salt.jpg
    Salt.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Toyota salted.jpg
    Toyota salted.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suspected you’d like it
Looks like you had fun!
To say I would highly recommend it is an understatement. Especially if you can add some time before or after, to tour a little and see how incredible Utah is. I had skied there about 30 years ago at Snowbird and Alta, but I didn't realize how much I hadn't seen, other than the ski areas, which are amazing. The salt flats are crazy cool, if you have any motor head in you at all.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! X2, had the time of my life! Everything was top notch, from the dinner, to the trucks, the instructors, and the riding areas. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you hose the rental car off before you turned it in?
A big yes to that! I pressure washed it good and then took it to a drive through wash. The wheel wells were really filled with salt, it was pretty bad. I know in Florida if you take a rental back all sanded up from beating on it, they will upcharge you for the cleaning, so I figured I better remove the evidence.