Electronics keep cutting out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamie Wise

Reaction score
Hey All,

Will try to provide as much context as possible.

Recently bought a new 2019 SCREW. Installed the BD Reverse lights kit a few days ago, no issues. Installed the JLT Catch can yesterday.

Went to drive the truck after installing the catch can, and noticed the electronics would power up when I opened the vehicle, and then cut out straight after. Then turn on again, and then off again etc... It would also not let me start the vehicle.

I exited the vehicle, waited a few minutes, locked it, unlocked it again and everything seemed to be fine.

Driving again today, the electronics flickered on and off on my commute home from work, and suddenly the entire truck just died, right there in the middle of the road. No power, no engine, no steering, nothing.

My first assumption was that when installing the catch can, I must have inadvertently touched a wiring loom against something hot and melted it. (I had the exact catch can on my 18 SCREW with no issues). I checked the engine bay, and could not find any melted wires or anything of the sort. There is a faint burning smell, but I'm told that's not unusual for the first 1k miles of a new truck.

My second assumption was something with the BD reverse system. I've checked all the wiring, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

After about 5 minutes of the truck being dead on the road, I tried to lock the vehicle with the key (it did nothing before that) and the truck locked, the lights flashed, etc... and I was able to unlock it, start it up and drive it home. (During the rest of the drive home the dash and lights cut out once.)

Arriving home, I checked the engine bay again, for anything obvious, and I'm not seeing anything. Before I schedule a trip to the dealer and remove the catch can, I wanted to see if anyone here had an idea of what it could be, or what I should check. It really seems like there is a circuit that is shorting somewhere.

The only two things I have noticed are that there is a connector connected to the positive terminal of the battery that doesn't look secure. It looks like there should be a nut screwed down to provide a solid connection (picture attached).

More of a stretch, I noticed one the catch can wires touching something metal under the engine cover (picture attached) although I really don't know how that could affect anything.

Apologies for the length of the post, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

IMG-0560.jpg IMG-0561.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
why is there no nut on that battery terminal? ETA - on the top of that battery terminal and whatever is sitting on top fo the nut.

OP
OP
J

Jamie Wise

Reaction score
That’s what I’m going to try. That is how the battery came when I picked the truck up. I haven’t touched it.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a recall 19S40. Maybe that could be the issue?
no, the first picture clearly shows a bad connection on the power cable. you can see the nut below the loop on the power cable. its just resting on there so any vibration can cause it to lose contact with power, shutting down the electronics of the vehicle

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow like everyone said you need a nut on that cable.

I would take it back and talk to the service department manager and the GM and have it checked by a "master tech" for other loose connections.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
That’s what I’m going to try. That is how the battery came when I picked the truck up. I haven’t touched it.

Mine was very loose, just happened to be looking things over under the hood and checking connections.