Cutting Up My Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Psirus7

Reaction score
I'm cutting off the frame horns on my truck, cutting a dovetail for the rear, and cutting holes in the bed for a SVC Bypass Setup this summer (which will lead to cutting off the stock shock mounts). There are a lot of good resources out there about cutting the front, but not the rear dovetail. Does anyone have any advice or a template? My assumption is to follow the lines from the new bumper down to the wheel-well corners. Do you have to score the plastic prior to cutting the aluminum with a body saw? Anyone got any advice for cutting bypass holes in the bed? It looks like each truck has a different configuration. Thanks!

grleon65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do mine with a Rotozip and a Dremel wheel attachment, but ended up chickening out and getting SVC to do it. If you like, I could take measurements and post pics of the result.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video. They pried the fender flare out to completely remove the plastic trim and cut the two separately. The plastic is easier to trim and conceivable it could cover a less than perfect job on the metal.
I don’t know anything really but Krazy house customs has a filler piece that goes along the dovetail for a more finished look. I’m basically wanting to do the same but don’t know what rear bumper I want yet. I chickened out on cutting the frame horns and went with the ADD bolt on front. Talk to Nex about the “ big” drain holes in the bed. That’s not gonna be in my budget for awhile yet.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea...I figured cutting both (metal and plastic) at the same time may make for a sloppy cut.
Pretty sure the guy used a cut off wheel on a 4in grinder to cut the bed. He layer out a tape line, don’t know if someone has a template. Don’t recall what he cut the plastic trim with. Not even sure what I searched to find the video. What bumper are you going with? I think I like the Krazy House bumper because of it being flat on top, but honestly probably change my mind 10 times.

OP
OP
Psirus7

Psirus7

Reaction score
Going with a SVC Mojave Rear and Baja Front (with hoop). Hopefully a tube style front and plate style rear doesn't look too weird.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
a cut off wheel is going to give the best cuts imo.. the one i cut, we left the plastic part on and just ran a tape line where the edge of the cut would be and winged it from there.. some edge molding from amazon cleaned it up nicely.