Light Install Triggered “Back Up Assist Unavailabel”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsimon77

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had Baja lights installed on my raptor today. 6 Baja squadron lights behind the grill in the front. Also had to Baja reverse lights installed in the rear. They are great!

Only issue is I am now getting the “back up assist unavailable” warning when I put the truck in reverse.

I had this randomly happen about a year ago and the dealer had to reprogram the IPMA module. But before I take it back to them and have it done yet again wanted to see if anybody had any other thoughts or ideas?

I know this typically gets triggered by removing the bed, but that was not done in this case.

There is any way to reset it using forscan?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You can check and clear DTC’s with FORSCAN.

Do you know / did you ask how they wired the lights?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can ask. Is there something that could have triggered this?
well, since it happened and you reported right after the install, I’d say it’s pretty likely.

Did you have anything done to the truck before the last time you lost backup assist?
I’d check the wiring for cutting/splicing. The Raptor modules are very sensitive to load, if you exceed the range the truck is programmed to accept, you get a DTC. If that happens, the truck could disable certain functions.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well, since it happened and you reported right after the install, I’d say it’s pretty likely.

I’d check the wiring for cutting/splicing. The Raptor modules are very sensitive to load, if you exceed the range the truck is programmed to accept, you get a DTC. If that happens, the truck could disable certain functions.
This.

Some kits' have a splice connector on the driver rear if they only come on when the truck is reverse. Splicing the harness isn't always the best idea.

Always better to just wire to the upfitter.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
everything is controlled by the computer now. any voltage change will send it into error. so if they just tapped a reverse light, it will throw off the computer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter