Keep or Return?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highwayman

Reaction score
I'd return it.... Personally I always avoid used unless I can confirm the owners and history.... For 45k here in So Cal I passed on a super clean Rousch Raptor, 75k, maintained, no rust and 75 year old owner.... Id of grabbed it, but decided Id rather put the 45k towards a new 23 and did that...

Good luck.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making the purchase seemed tricky enough, i wonder how a return on the vehicle would be.

ive heard carmax has or had a return policy and thats prolly not so easy as well

OP
OP
slade8

slade8

Reaction score
I'd return it.... Personally I always avoid used unless I can confirm the owners and history.... For 45k here in So Cal I passed on a super clean Rousch Raptor, 75k, maintained, no rust and 75 year old owner.... Id of grabbed it, but decided Id rather put the 45k towards a new 23 and did that...

Good luck.
That 2023 is gonna be badass. I like your math but I ended up keeping it. Thanks

OP
OP
slade8

slade8

Reaction score
price is too high imho. especially considering the maintenance work that it needs
I agree with you on the price of a 10 year old truck being high. However, this one was about average compared to exact matches over the past few months. I also didn't see any with road leds, new brakes and rotors, corsa catback extreme, new Cai, new windshield, new Motorcraft battery, new 35" tires installed and a free alignment. Did I pay to much? Yes, in my mind, but did I get a few things other trucks didn't have, yes. It's a 2014 6.2L ruby red for me until I buy a used 10 year old 700hp raptor R. Lol

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are you able to afford the truck and the upkeep on the truck?
let the mechanic give you some guidance on that.
Here's the short list of new/rebuilt parts I have on my 2011. In no particular order, all parts were installed here; so there's no labor cost except a front alignment. The engine oil, rear diff fluid, & trans fluid were lab tested as well. Purchase price: $33K.

Rebuilt 6r80, $2500, rebuilt steering rack, $225, rebuilt alternator, $200. Steering knuckle was gusseted, $900.

Suspension: (Gen 2) 3.0 Foxes, KHC coil buckets, New LCA bushings & balljoints, New Blitzkrieg UCA's, SVC 1/2 Tie Rods, new alignment cams & hardware, new Torsen front diff, new high angle CV axles, new rear diff cover. That's at least $4500.

Engine parts: new injectors, 16 plugs/plug wires, new coils, water pump & thermostat. New ac compressor, ac hoses, & condenser. New power steering pump, hoses, steering sector shaft, Mishimoto radiator & trans cooler. New trans cooler lines & linkage. New serpentine belt, pulleys, tensioner, There's another $2500-2800.

New oem brake rotors, pads, stainless steel brake lines, rebuilt calipers... call it $1000

(6) new Method wheels, BFG 35's, & lug nuts. Prolly another $2000.

Add another $500 for quality fluids & filters. And another $500 for "genuine" Ford hardware. Add another $600 for Ravelco theft deterrent, and $400 for proper gages on the A pillar.

That's at least $15000 invested, (plus the $33K truck), just to have a reliable 2011 Gen 1 SCREW, with zero rust and a spotless interior.

Don't get me started on the ridiculous registration, sales taxes, "fees", & insurance.

Is it worth it? I fu cking hope so; (and I plan on being buried in it), but I would NEVER commit to 5.5 years of interest on top of the purchase price for something 10+ years old with 209XXX miles. YMMV.

OP
OP
slade8

slade8

Reaction score
Here's the short list of new/rebuilt parts I have on my 2011. In no particular order, all parts were installed here; so there's no labor cost except a front alignment. The engine oil, rear diff fluid, & trans fluid were lab tested as well. Purchase price: $33K.

Rebuilt 6r80, $2500, rebuilt steering rack, $225, rebuilt alternator, $200. Steering knuckle was gusseted, $900.

Suspension: (Gen 2) 3.0 Foxes, KHC coil buckets, New LCA bushings & balljoints, New Blitzkrieg UCA's, SVC 1/2 Tie Rods, new alignment cams & hardware, new Torsen front diff, new high angle CV axles, new rear diff cover. That's at least $4500.

Engine parts: new injectors, 16 plugs/plug wires, new coils, water pump & thermostat. New ac compressor, ac hoses, & condenser. New power steering pump, hoses, steering sector shaft, Mishimoto radiator & trans cooler. New trans cooler lines & linkage. New serpentine belt, pulleys, tensioner, There's another $2500-2800.

New oem brake rotors, pads, stainless steel brake lines, rebuilt calipers... call it $1000

(6) new Method wheels, BFG 35's, & lug nuts. Prolly another $2000.

Add another $500 for quality fluids & filters. And another $500 for "genuine" Ford hardware. Add another $600 for Ravelco theft deterrent, and $400 for proper gages on the A pillar.

That's at least $15000 invested, (plus the $33K truck), just to have a reliable 2011 Gen 1 SCREW, with zero rust and a spotless interior.

Don't get me started on the ridiculous registration, sales taxes, "fees", & insurance.

Is it worth it? I fu cking hope so; (and I plan on being buried in it), but I would NEVER commit to 5.5 years of interest on top of the purchase price for something 10+ years old with 209XXX miles. YMMV.
Very impressive list and a ton of work. Yep the interest is total **** and a lot of what I am hearing is a money pit. I will have a lot of time to think about all of it while I am bringing it back to life and making it my own. Thanks for the thoughts and info.