Yosemite and Lake Tahoe Offroad "Raptor" Friendly Trails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny5

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience taking their rig through the Rubicon Trail? I am curious if there are wide enough bypasses there. I think the trail starts around Georgetown and ends up south of Homewood Resort.

I have taking the trails to Lake Fordyce and around there (Cisco Grove exit off 80, near Soda Springs). There are a lot of trails that will fit a full size rig. It’s rocky and there is a lot of trail traffic in the summer, so don’t go there for speed records.

Kirkw

Reaction score
Dog Valley Road. You can drive from Verdi west of Reno to highway 89 just north of Truckee (or vice versa). Dog Valley is beautiful, but this is more of a dirt road through the mountains than aggressive off road adventure. There are lots of other roads that branch off in that area that are more aggressive. Forest map is a good bet. Also you can search a site called Rider Planet for trails. They have fairly good descriptions, maps and usually pictures of the areas, but is oriented to OHV and motorcycles.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience taking their rig through the Rubicon Trail? I am curious if there are wide enough bypasses there. I think the trail starts around Georgetown and ends up south of Homewood Resort.

I have taking the trails to Lake Fordyce and around there (Cisco Grove exit off 80, near Soda Springs). There are a lot of trails that will fit a full size rig. It’s rocky and there is a lot of trail traffic in the summer, so don’t go there for speed records.

You could take a Raptor in from the Homewood side to the top of the Cadilac downhill. Nice view of that valley from there. But, I wouldn't go further than that. Maybe down cadilac but as far as the whole trail no way. Use to live in Homewood and I would ride in there in the afternoons. If someone really wanted to do the whole trail best time is the weekend after the jeep jamboree. They go in and smooth it out before the jamboree so they can get everybody thru.

Kirkw

Reaction score
You could take a Raptor in from the Homewood side to the top of the Cadilac downhill. Nice view of that valley from there. But, I wouldn't go further than that. Maybe down cadilac but as far as the whole trail no way. Use to live in Homewood and I would ride in there in the afternoons. If someone really wanted to do the whole trail best time is the weekend after the jeep jamboree. They go in and smooth it out before the jamboree so they can get everybody thru.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For south lake tahoe try Genoa Peak trail. About 22 miles long. Access thru Brotovich park(North Benjamin) off of Kingsbury grade. Comes out at the intersection of 28 and 50. Nice views of the lake. If you do this you must go to the top of Genoa Peak. Can drive to it except the last 300ft of elevation you have to hike.

Heading up this weekend. If I have time, I want to check this one out. Thanks!

Kirkw

Reaction score
I just rode dirt bikes to Rubicon Springs from Homewood on 8/6. Previous two weeks were Jeep events. Was anything but smooth. Going east to west anything after the Blackwood Canyon cutoff (about 4 miles from the staging area) is realistically a no turn around until Observation Point. After OP, no way a stock or even lightly lifted Raptor would avoid impact or pin stripping. Trenches are just too narrow. Blackwood Canyon to Bear Lake should be doable though. Maybe some tight spots. The trails are generally not raptor wide in some areas.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I’ve only gone as far as gatekeeper and ****** around in the spill way. I camp a lot at Loon Lake so we park at gatekeeper and walk down to the river or up to Spider Lake. I wouldn’t recommend taking the Raptor in unless you want damage.

3290279D-5562-4080-9D97-A0B6B181D7EF.png

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone took their Raptor on the dirt trails in Big Bear Ca. ? I've ridden my dirt bike on some VERY challenging trails in Big Bear, but looking for some roads for the Raptor now. Easy fire roads, don't want to bang up my daily..