Yes, there IS an update for the 2011 Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, this wasn't something you can get online. Sorry, I didn't grill the guy for the version, or anything like that. Where did he get it? Idk. Ford? He said it was a ford update/patch/upgrade they have been doing on all 2011 Sony navs.

It was a 10 minute reflash with an update from his laptop via the USB.

He didn't disconnect the battery or pull the fuse.

More details needed. Did this audio guy load an actual Sync update? Version? what is it? Where did he get it?

Call me skeptical.

However I did chat with a Sync tech today. He suggested the Owner to Owner Sync forums where some of their engineers occasionally chime in. While this was not from an engineer...I did find this posting from 2 weeks ago,

"I was having the same problem with my iPhone 3GS which suddenly lost the ability to find the SYNC Bluetooth signal. I contacted my dealer and learned there was a recent recall on Sync that requires a software update by the audio service technicians at your Ford dealership. I had the update installed recently and it seems to be working now. "

Interesting...because my iPhone 4 was working pretty good for a couple weeks. But now it cannot do any BT audio streaming, fails to re-pair, is not recognized by Sync even though the phone shows connected...and Sync will say "already connected".

Ford Techs...has there been a TSB on this? or something similar?

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear an update was able totake care of your concern. Someone earlier was asking how the update was done. When you bring your vehicle to the dealership they hook up the IDS or ford scan tool using the DLC(data link connector) and male to male usb port hooked up to the vehicle usb port they go online and download all the information to upgrade your sync then and there. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an 1.5 hours depending on how tempermental the equipment is. Did ford fix and upgrade your sync under warranty Houston Rider?

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear an update was able totake care of your concern. Someone earlier was asking how the update was done. When you bring your vehicle to the dealership they hook up the IDS or ford scan tool using the DLC(data link connector) and male to male usb port hooked up to the vehicle usb port they go online and download all the information to upgrade your sync then and there. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an 1.5 hours depending on how tempermental the equipment is. Did ford fix and upgrade your sync under warranty Houston Rider?

Yes, he has his Toughbook tied into the USB and the Data Link under the steering wheel.

With 1,500 miles on the truck? yes, under warranty was the only option for them :)

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HR...Glad they got you up and running again.

So I wonder if you were on an older Sync version at delivery or what?...as Sync techs had said that my truck had all available updates. I am on Sync Version Gen1 - V3.2. Or if there really is some other update being done/possible??

This screen is from Info, System Settings. Not sure if the SW: B4U22002 is directly related to the Sync Version but here is what mine has for SW and HW versions.

Attachments

• photo_8x6.jpg
    photo_8x6.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HR...Glad they got you up and running again.

So I wonder if you were on an older Sync version at delivery or what?...as Sync techs had said that my truck had all available updates. I am on Sync Version Gen1 - V3.2. Or if there really is some other update being done/possible??

This screen is from Info, System Settings. Not sure if the SW: B4U22002 is directly related to the Sync Version but here is what mine has for SW and HW versions.

I have no idea what I had BEFORE they did the update. I have EXACTLY what you show there, except MY Map Update Order Info: App Number is: GM9P-9CST... and that may be specific to my device/location/Time zone, couldn't tell ya.

I wish I knew what i had before I did the update... lol

jdowens1

Reaction score
I checked for my sync version and I am currently running V3.1 w/o nav. I did look to see and it shows my vehicle doesn't have any synce upgrades currently available. I'm starting to wonder if sync has a different version for vehicles with nav. Also at syncmyride.com if you register they do claim you can upgrade your own sync by downloading them onto a usb drive. I haven't tried it but for who is to busy to make it to dealer might be worth a try.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jdowens...my Truck is a 2011 with Nav. v3.2 is the latest...per Sync support on Feb 15, 2011.

As for the USB upgrade route...that is what I attempted. The first step is to run the Status Checker. Followed the instructions to a tee repeatedly...never would get a confirmation of it completing (instructions say you need to wait for a 2nd "installation complete" message) even after waiting over 45 minutes. Reading online...Sync has been widely criticized for their assinine programming of the upgrade routine (why would you have the software respond "installation complete" when it really IS NOT complete??? :hmm: ) Anyway...after jumping through that hoop unsuccessfully for a couple days I sent them a friendly email. It is below along with their response.

Perhaps if you were to do the procedure, it actually would work as you should have a v3.1 to v3.2 upgrade available to you. ??

------------------
Inquiry/Concern
--------------------------------
Can't load SYNC Status Checker successfully on my brand new Ford F150 Raptor. Reading around your forums and elsewhere...it appears I am not alone. Why such a piece of crap software? "installation complete" but then wait another 5 or 10 minutes for it again...??? Stupid, stupid, stupid programming. Who came up with that garbage? Waited 45 minutes the first time with no success. Low level formatted my flash drive...new download. Tried again. Waited 15 minutes the second time...never to get a second "installation complete" message. HELP. And fix this god awful piece of crap.

----------
the canned response:
----------
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:32 PM
Subject: SYNC Updates – SYNC Status Checker

Thank you for your email in regards to SYNC.

The SYNC Status Checker is not an update. The SYNC Status Checker is a tool that is used for verifying the current software version in the vehicle. It is only used if that data is missing from your SYNC account. You can disregard the SYNC Status Checker tool. According to our records, your vehicle has SYNC version Gen1 - V3.2. This is the newest software available, there is no update needed for your vehicle.

Sincerely,

Chauntay
Ford Motor Company
SYNC Support Center

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for those unfamiliar with the syncmyride.com site...once you've created an account (which is linked to your VIN) you will be able to see all the update history of your vehicle, from the build date in Dearborn to the present.

Once you've created your account, click on the Manage Sync button over on the right hand side of the header. Scroll down to Update and Customize. Click View Confirmed Installations. That will show you the latest installed software version. If you click on View Your Sync History...it will show you what version was installed when your truck was built and any other upgrades that have been done since.

jdowens1

Reaction score
BFR sorry I didn't realize you said you tried updated it yourself earlier. I know you guys said you had V3.2 that is why I am thinking the nav systems might have a differfen't version then vehicle without nav. Reason being I ran my vin through ford to test my sync version and to see what the latest update out for it would be and I didn't have one. It might change after I hook up the IDS and use it to access my sync next weekend. I was just browsing when I saw you could update on your own didn't realize that Ford and Microsoft still had so many glitches out there for gen1. But I will hook up the Ford scan tool to access my sync and see if V3.2 is available to me or if that is only the nav systems.