Wtb road legal fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
S2 Pros would work fine although you'll get MUCH better results if you put a 2nd set on for driving OR went with the FRL Tripple Bezel kit and rn the KC HiLites (available on our site and what I linked earlier)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be advised that very few aftermarket LED lights are street legal no matter how the manufacturer markets them. PIAA makes these SAE compliant fog lights, but they're pretty bulky:

https://www.piaa.com/store/p/747-PI...Bar-Yellow-Fog-Beam-Single-SAE-Compliant.aspx

If you live in a cold environment, LED lights aren't the way to go anyway, especially fog lights. LED lights don't get hot enough to melt frozen and semi-frozen gunk off the lenses. If you live in a cold climate the best alternative is good old halogen. If you want to be certain that your fog lights are legal, halogen again.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S2 Pros would work fine although you'll get MUCH better results if you put a 2nd set on for driving OR went with the FRL Tripple Bezel kit and rn the KC HiLites (available on our site and what I linked earlier)

My plan was to do triple BDs without the bezel. My idea was a set of amber S2 (sports?) for fogs, a set of S2 pro cornering, then go asymmetrical on some squadrons with a racer spot on one side and a pro driving on the other. Switch the squadrons and cornering together, and the ambers separately. I'm just not clear on what the best option is for the fogs and then also not certain if I'd be happy with the single squadron spot and driving combo. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've had a few customers order the Unlimited kits and then added on the amber S2 lenses. I'm not sure you'd get good results with 1 racer on one side and 1 pro on the other... you'll get weird results doing that.

For me... I'd do S2 as they are. Then I'd put a set of Ambers on one of the Squadron Pros and leave the other Squadron Pros as is. This way I'd be able to pick/choose if i wanted white or amber based on the weather condition.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking about it in terms of the individual lamps, since they aren't shaped left or right.

What I mean is, on the Squadron and S2 series, you've essentially got 2 lens patterns and 2 intensities, (3 if you include the racers since they're oddballs). There's a 42°, a 9°, and a 4°, and when you're picking lights, you're really just making different combinations of those, and in whichever intensity you want to pay for.

So, for example, with the lights I listed, I've got six wide angle lamps at 42°, and six spot lamps (two 9° lamps and four 4° lamps). That's not including the fogs of course.

I can see an argument though that I need more lumens dedicated to spots, since I'm throwing that light further, so an alternative combo would be four 42°, four 9° and four 4°. That would be two S2 cornering, a Squadron Spot and a Squadron Racer. Again, ignoring the fogs. Maybe that's better.

Does that all make sense?

Still I'm undecided on the fogs - I just checked out some videos showing the S2 sports and while they have a bit of a cutoff it's not exactly sharp.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You actually need lux... that's what determines how far they go. Lumen is just how much light is really out there but it's not necessarily available (it's raw lumens btw, but that's fine to pick a light since EVERYBODY markets the lumen value).

BD lights do throw light really far.

I have the OnX6 arc dual on my truck. I love the amber lights for rainy weather. The center white lights are spots so those are for throwing light far down the road. So you can kind of compare that to the fog light packages you are looking at.

Looking at the unlimited package you have the S2's setup as wide cornering. That's good for directly in front of the truck covering right up close and being wide... to help light up the sides of the road a bit.

The Squadron Racers are in Spot so naturally that's throwing a beam of light down the road.

Then the Squadron Pros are driving combo. Dual lense that gives you right in front of the truck. That's great for bad weather which is why I recommend you throw amber driving/combos in there and use the S2's for your everyday driving.

So S2 for everyday driving
Squadron Pros with Amber for bad weather (or leave them white and use them everyday as well which is perfectly fine)
Racers for when you need to throw light down.

Now... what would I do if I had a front bumper that took fogs?

S2 Sports in wide cornering (wish they put the pros in their "pro" package... just saying baja lol... the PRO package has sports? weird.)
Squadron Pros in driving combo (white)
Squadron Pros in driving combo (amber)

So that would now be your PRO package, with an extra set of lenses... i'd use the ambers in bad weather but normally id keep the whites on.

Attachments

• 2016 Lighting Zones Chart.jpg
    2016 Lighting Zones Chart.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 60

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you guys confident that a pair of amber Baja S2's would work as fogs on the road? I assume you're just talking the S2 sports, or do you mean the Pros also?

Sorry, just that getting blinded by others' lights is one of my pet peeves so I want to make sure I don't become that guy.

To be clear, the S2 lights are not road legal and do not have DOT approval. If you run them on the road, you are at a risk. That being said, the Wide Cornering pattern is considered to be "road friendly" since it is a very horizontal pattern that is good for near truck coverage and lateral visibility. If aimed properly (ie. down), you could run these lights on the road and not blind other drivers. But, just to be clear, they are not actually road legal.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Correct, no aftermarket LED from Baja is road legal. Even the SAE approved lights from Rigid may NOT be road legal. SAE/DOT approval is just a safety rating... doesn't mean it's legal on the road in your area.

With that said most truck owners don't have issues if they don't turn all their lights on. If you have the S2s on you will probably never have issues. If you turn everything on well the police may give you a hard time. However if you are on some back road somewhere I doubt they'd bother you as long as you turn them off in the city or when traffic approaches.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I had a good conversation today with Nick at Apollo Optics and he's going to set me up with a pair of Rigid SAE fog lights that I think will be perfect for my needs. Pairing that with a set of BD Pro driving and a set of BD Racer Spots, which should have me covered for both on road and off.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I had a good conversation today with Nick at Apollo Optics and he's going to set me up with a pair of Rigid SAE fog lights that I think will be perfect for my needs. Pairing that with a set of BD Pro driving and a set of BD Racer Spots, which should have me covered for both on road and off.

I'm glad we could find the right solution for you, Jeff. Thanks again for your support!