Would this fit into the Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MagicMtnDan said:
I suspect the first concern with that motor would be its size and weight (and it doesn't have EFI, etc.).

Tim's already suggested perhaps the best solution: the 5.4 blown GT500 motor. The new one weighs 100 lbs. less than the one in his GT500 so it's even more attractive thanks to the weight savings and it puts out 545HP (IIRC).
Yes you can run EFI one of two ways. I'm about 90% positive Edelbrock sells an EFI manifold for the 460 but the problem is our ECU are to advanced to run something like the 460 when the last one in production was in the mid 90s in the F-Series Super Duty. So you would have to run either Accel DFI or a Megasquirt ECU. The other choice is a little easier. Use a system similar to the FAST EZ-EFI system. Its a self tuning system and can be used on any intake that use a Holley 4bbl carb.

There are several versions on the GT500/FR500CJ motor from Ford and other places. Current production GT500 is rated at 550hp and uses a block that is lighter and stronger then the FGT block. Right all FRPP sells is are the iron block GT500 motors but there is the 605HP TVS Long block.

SVORay said:
How about a Modded N/A DOHC 5.4 from something like a Navigator/Cobra R? The Cobra R is/was rated at 380hp & 385ft tq
Really C-cast heads would be the best bet. C-cast heads are what come on 99/01 Cobra, 03/04 Mach 1 and te Terminator. They have several updates from the R-cast heads(FGT/GT500/00R). Intake Manifold for C-cast heads are easy to get unlike 00R manifold where there are only 300 ever made.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suspect the first concern with that motor would be its size and weight (and it doesn't have EFI, etc.).

Tim's already suggested perhaps the best solution: the 5.4 blown GT500 motor. The new one weighs 100 lbs. less than the one in his GT500 so it's even more attractive thanks to the weight savings and it puts out 545HP (IIRC).

550HP (10 more than the 2010 model) due to freer flowing exhaust and an electric steering motor (vs. hydraulic)

This is definitely the route I am going to go unless Ford ****** out the 6.2 (read it gets cheaper and easier availability) or the 5.0L Coyote motor shows some potential. Since the Mustang will be using the 6R80 in model year 2011 (i believe) the 5.0 should, in theory, bolt up to the Raptor's trans.

The N/A 5.4L Cobra Motor (NOT the GT500 engine) also has an unobtanium intake manifold.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The N/A 5.4L Cobra Motor (NOT the GT500 engine) also has an unobtanium intake manifold.
One was SVTP a few weeks ago and te guy wanted almost $2K for it. I really want to see what a 358CID high compression FGT blocked 3v will do. These stroker Mustangs are making some awesome power with 3v heads.

The 6.2 is going into the Super Duty so its getting ****** out and I looked it up online the price of a new 5.4 3v complete motor is $5,100 from Ford the price of a new 6.2L (Raptor spec) complete motor is $5,300 from Ford.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the prices. So what's the price of the GT500 motor (I think Tim mentioned it in a different thread)?

New in box from Ford around $15 to 18k depending on where you buy it. That does not include obvious items such as installation and tuning.

You will need to buy the related plumbing (coolant pump, hoses, etc) and radiator for the supercharger cooling.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How well do supercharged engines hold up off road? This is all far away thinking, after warranty stuff.

I would venture to guess high speed onroad track use would be a lot more grueling than off road (however could be offset by low speed <read less air thru radiator> Hi rpm offroad use), but I do not have any experience with any supercharged off road applications.

Some minuses are more complicated underhood, potential heat soak issues, hi octane requirement, potential other component breakage (axles, etc)

OP
OP
BentToast

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would venture to guess high speed onroad track use would be a lot more grueling than off road (however could be offset by low speed <read less air thru radiator> Hi rpm offroad use), but I do not have any experience with any supercharged off road applications.

Some minuses are more complicated underhood, potential heat soak issues, hi octane requirement, potential other component breakage (axles, etc)
Dont superchargers require certain air filters that might let dirt in? They also need intercoolers, runnning in the desert gets a engine hot especially in sand where its running high rpm and not going that fast. I think NA engines are more cut out for a off roader that also has to be a reliable, streetable daily driver. The big block crate motor is less than 10k, much less than the gt500

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont superchargers require certain air filters that might let dirt in? They also need intercoolers, runnning in the desert gets a engine hot especially in sand where its running high rpm and not going that fast. I think NA engines are more cut out for a off roader that also has to be a reliable, streetable daily driver. The big block crate motor is less than 10k, much less than the gt500

Nope, they do not require special air filters.

Intercoolers are NOT a requirement although they do help a great deal keeping the air charge temperature down. The GT500 engine mentioned has an intercooler under the supercharger in the intake valley of the engine (the V)

My 2004 Mustang Cobra 4.6L Supercharged from the factory had the same air filter as a naturally aspirated Mustang GT. Nothing special required.

The big block crate motor is cheaper because it does not include an Eaton Supercharger, integrated intercooler, Fuel injection, Double Overhead Cams, 32 valves, etc. It would most likely require more tuning than the GT500 crate motor and most likely would not pass smog or a visual (or a referee) in a smog **** state.