Word of caution for out of state buyers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not correct. The has to be titled in another state for the 7500 mile exemption to be applicable. You can't just bring a new car into the state, without CA certification, drive it for 7500 miles and expect to register it as new.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to allay even more confusion, here is a direct quote from your reference above:

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Unless that has changed in the last few years that is not the case. That only applied to a vehicle that was previously titled in another state.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

dwn4cause

Reaction score
i live in cali bought from out of state with the non ca emission option and i was able to register it in ca.. just needs the smog info sticker..

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without a title or reg?

i live in cali bought from out of state with the non ca emission option and i was able to register it in ca.. just needs the smog info sticker..

I'm nervous about walking into the DMV with nothing to show, other than my signed Order/contract from the dealer. No registration, or title, obviously.

I called Auto Club, and they said I will be OK, but will need to do this AT THE DMV OFFICE.

Sound right?

dwn4cause

Reaction score
Yes you have to take it to a DMV field office so they can check the vin and smog sticker.. you will also need to get a smog check before, but they just plug into the obd port and takes 5 min... it was a simple process and you get your plates same day.. only thing is the time it takes..

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Also forgot to mention I got a manufacturer certificate or origin from the dealer. It's like a pink slip / title from ford. The dealer signed the back the release section and filled out the Lien holder info.

Dartv8r

Reaction score
I'm nervous about walking into the DMV with nothing to show, other than my signed Order/contract from the dealer. No registration, or title, obviously.

I called Auto Club, and they said I will be OK, but will need to do this AT THE DMV OFFICE.

Sound right?

Don't forget you also need to have the truck weighed. California considers all pickup trucks as commercial vehicles. Any public scale can do it. You need this to pay the weight fee when you register it.

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did all this...

Have dealer mail title to CA DMV. DMV will send it to lien holder after title is transferred to CA. Have dealer give you copy of title, not official but good to have. Get smog inspection and get car weighed by certified CA weighmaster. Have truck empty and low on gas. Verify vehicle wasn't ever registered in state of purchase. If it was, you need to bring registration. Bring bill of sale. Go to DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

FYI - I had mine weighed at a quarry.

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to bs the purchase price to pay less sales tax?

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did all this...

Have dealer mail title to CA DMV. DMV will send it to lien holder after title is transferred to CA. Have dealer give you copy of title, not official but good to have. Get smog inspection and get car weighed by certified CA weighmaster. Have truck empty and low on gas. Verify vehicle wasn't ever registered in state of purchase. If it was, you need to bring registration. Bring bill of sale. Go to DMV.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

FYI - I had mine weighed at a quarry.

Excellent rundown... thanks. Got everything covered and waiting on the papers from the dealer.

FYI, all our Raptors would fit into the "Code E" weight class, which is 5,001-6,000 pounds and the fee is $154. So, luckily, even with my tank being 3/4, my weight was still under at 5,760...and I have a CREW.

When this is done, I'd like to launch an attack on DMV/Calif. to get this mess changed. After all, the VEHICLE is IDENTICAL, as is the EMISSIONS STICKER!!! The fact that the only difference is a checkbox on the order form, and a N/C item on the sticker just boils my blood. I smell a surcharge somewhere in the midst of all this. Either the dealer or factory is paying California for a truck in which THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!

Last edited: