Wiring Kenwood 790 and intercom into hands free

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I know nothing about electronics so I am hoping someone here has done this and can give me advice on finding the right installer for this.

I have a Kenwood 790 and I am going to get the PCI intercom. The radio will be below the back seat and the face plate will be in the headliner behind the roof console. (2013 SCAB with no sunroof)

I want to set it up so that when we are in helmets we can run through the intercom. When we are not wearing helmets I do not want to have the ugly Kenwood external speaker and old school CB microphone. I want to install a PTT on the steering wheel (upper left spoke) and then utilize the center dash speaker for output and the handsfree mic in the headliner.

Has anyone ever done this before? Will this be hard for an high level stereo shop to do?

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Bill

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I use the center dash speaker with my icom. FYI the kenwood 790s only play nice with their brand external. But the face has a decent speaker in it.

For the mic I think you will have to run it through the intercom.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run a remote PTT but its not on the steering wheel (ran into to many issues). You can get the pin outs for that radio and maybe tie into it. Its not gonna be easy.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will have to do some checking. there my be a way to use a steering wheel button, however, the original functions may not work. other than that, getting a button up there is going to be a whole lot of work, but not impossible