Wireless carplay rarely works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
so with that said.. it is the phone's 'fault' then? that's how i understood it to work anyway, but it's not helping me at all. lol

should be using OS 16 then? why would it have worked last week and not after? only then did I update the phone to 15.7 thinking it may be a software issue on the phone..

the 11 can't be old enough where they'd push that out.... oorrr woould theeyy?? arrgghh apply you ba*tardddss
Go to settings, general, CarPlay and delete your raptor. Then plug phone into usb, have BT on and re “add” to your truck. After it connects, cycle truck on/off and try wireless.

Last edited:

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As gobluejd mentioned, CarPlay is run off of the phone. Regardless of software level, it could still be a phone hardware issue. The best thing to do would be to connect a known good phone and see if Carplay works properly.
thank you

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I figured the bluetooth portion was obvious, but you never know. Couple of other things to check....Siri should be on for Carplay. Also, in some way or form, Carplay may have been turned into a restricted function. If you go to Settings>Screen Time>Content and Privacy Restrictions>Allowed Apps, you can check to make sure Carplay is allowed. If Screen time is not set up, it is allowed. You can also try disabling the EQ in Settings>Music>EQ. If you are using a VPN, that could also interfere with Carplay. Otherwise, update to the most current IOS, forget your car in Carplay and set it up again from scratch.
Did you saaayy VPN?? hmmm. wonder if that would do it. I did have that in the beginning as well, but that's a good one.. that would be very interesting if that's what is messing with it..

I did check the screentime actaully knowing that I do not have it on.. and the siri was always on as well (also checked)
and this is why I am here... getting advice from smarter people, lol..

"
Go to settings, general and delete your raptor. Then plug phone into usb, have BT on and re “add” to your truck. After it connects, cycle truck on/off and try wireless. "

and I did try the go usb first and then reconnect and it didn't allow through the usb either.. but I kind of stopped at that point figuring not much else could be done.

I've 'forgotten' the phone and the truck so many times already.. it's like another version of Inception haahha... carplay, inside another carplay, inside a phone, inside another truck, inside ..car play..

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Did you saaayy VPN?? hmmm. wonder if that would do it. I did have that in the beginning as well, but that's a good one.. that would be very interesting if that's what is messing with it..

I did check the screentime actaully knowing that I do not have it on.. and the siri was always on as well (also checked)
and this is why I am here... getting advice from smarter people, lol..

"
Go to settings, general and delete your raptor. Then plug phone into usb, have BT on and re “add” to your truck. After it connects, cycle truck on/off and try wireless. "

and I did try the go usb first and then reconnect and it didn't allow through the usb either.. but I kind of stopped at that point figuring not much else could be done.

I've 'forgotten' the phone and the truck so many times already.. it's like another version of Inception haahha... carplay, inside another carplay, inside a phone, inside another truck, inside ..car play..
You can only activate CarPlay thru usb. Make sure you accept on phone. If this did not work, reboot phone??

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can only activate CarPlay thru usb. Make sure you accept on phone. If this did not work, reboot phone??
interesting.. I did not have to connect via usb when I first got the truck..? I connected Bluetooth and then it continued and asked if I wanted to "enable carplay" as part of the pairing process. And had to accept on both phone and on dash, just like I did when I first put my phone on..

and I have rebooted several times as well.. did all the 'basics'.. reboot phone, reboot the nav system (through the pwr/skip fwd buttons) ... and latest was updating to 15.7, which is the latest for ios 15 anyway..

last step is to just let it upgrade to 16.. I just prefer not to since the phone is an 'older' one and that usually slows down iphones by using the newer builds..

seems to be the common denominator.. although I could have sworn seeing someone on here posting how they upgraded the software to 16 and still did not work for them.. I will try anyway as I have no other options at this point.. except a new(er) phone, which I really do not want ATM

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
interesting.. I did not have to connect via usb when I first got the truck..? I connected Bluetooth and then it continued and asked if I wanted to "enable carplay" as part of the pairing process. And had to accept on both phone and on dash, just like I did when I first put my phone on..

and I have rebooted several times as well.. did all the 'basics'.. reboot phone, reboot the nav system (through the pwr/skip fwd buttons) ... and latest was updating to 15.7, which is the latest for ios 15 anyway..

last step is to just let it upgrade to 16.. I just prefer not to since the phone is an 'older' one and that usually slows down iphones by using the newer builds..

seems to be the common denominator.. although I could have sworn seeing someone on here posting how they upgraded the software to 16 and still did not work for them.. I will try anyway as I have no other options at this point.. except a new(er) phone, which I really do not want ATM
I am almost 100% positive you gave to connect via usb to enable wireless Carplay. Could be wrong but mine (12 and no 14 Pro) has had connection issues and I deleted in settings/general CarPlay and then hooked up via usb, accepted etc and then power cycle truck and then connect wirelessly. Try forgetting Bluetooth on phone as well and re-pair.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wireless carplay never seems to come up as an option any more. Even with the phone plugged in.
iPhone 13
Do a hard reset in your settings. Had the same issue—wouldn’t even connect to Bluetooth. The only downside to the reset is having to reconfigure your radio stations, satellite radio, preferences, reset your ford app, etc.

Fixed the issue immediately though

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.. none of that worked.. and again, I have not had to use the USB to connect in first place and not now, as I did try that.. just for the two cents to the story here..
(small fib there, there was a mention of something that I just had to try, it may have been obvious to others..but it was not until I actually thought to try it, then it made all the sense in the world)

HOWEVER... I did figure it out!! at least for me anyway..

lets make a little game out of it.
who thinks it was:

1: The phone itself.. ie, version of hardware.. 12, 13 etc..
2: The iOS version..
3: The trucks info system.. being any reset, setup option..?
4: A VPN on phone
5: Connecting to a usb (sorry had to put that one in there ;) )
6: Or, just simply doing a reset on phone, forget, and pair again..

:smiley-face-popcorn

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Nope.. none of that worked.. and again, I have not had to use the USB to connect in first place and not now, as I did try that.. just for the two cents to the story here..
(small fib there, there was a mention of something that I just had to try, it may have been obvious to others..but it was not until I actually thought to try it, then it made all the sense in the world)

HOWEVER... I did figure it out!! at least for me anyway..

lets make a little game out of it.
who thinks it was:

1: The phone itself.. ie, version of hardware.. 12, 13 etc..
2: The iOS version..
3: The trucks info system.. being any reset, setup option..?
4: A VPN on phone
5: Connecting to a usb (sorry had to put that one in there ;) )
6: Or, just simply doing a reset on phone, forget, and pair again..

:smiley-face-popcorn
When it comes to iOS all of the above could have fixed it. ;)