Wireless carplay rarely works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Nope.. none of that worked.. and again, I have not had to use the USB to connect in first place and not now, as I did try that.. just for the two cents to the story here..
(small fib there, there was a mention of something that I just had to try, it may have been obvious to others..but it was not until I actually thought to try it, then it made all the sense in the world)

HOWEVER... I did figure it out!! at least for me anyway..

lets make a little game out of it.
who thinks it was:

1: The phone itself.. ie, version of hardware.. 12, 13 etc..
2: The iOS version..
3: The trucks info system.. being any reset, setup option..?
4: A VPN on phone
5: Connecting to a usb (sorry had to put that one in there ;) )
6: Or, just simply doing a reset on phone, forget, and pair again..

:smiley-face-popcorn
Oh C'mon lol. After all that. Glad you got it to work. Interested to see what it was.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Nope.. none of that worked.. and again, I have not had to use the USB to connect in first place and not now, as I did try that.. just for the two cents to the story here..
(small fib there, there was a mention of something that I just had to try, it may have been obvious to others..but it was not until I actually thought to try it, then it made all the sense in the world)

HOWEVER... I did figure it out!! at least for me anyway..

lets make a little game out of it.
who thinks it was:

1: The phone itself.. ie, version of hardware.. 12, 13 etc..
2: The iOS version..
3: The trucks info system.. being any reset, setup option..?
4: A VPN on phone
5: Connecting to a usb (sorry had to put that one in there ;) )
6: Or, just simply doing a reset on phone, forget, and pair again..

:smiley-face-popcorn
So what worked? I would post what you did sooner than later to see if that could help someone else.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what worked? I would post what you did sooner than later to see if that could help someone else.
aww.. c'mon.. just wanted a bit of fun.. it's pretty evident once you look at the options.. I've done the resetting.. done the forget and re-pair..

HINT: Carplay works with/on wifi....

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and by end of day.. PST, I will post.. but for sure someone will figure it out now..

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
and by end of day.. PST, I will post.. but for sure someone will figure it out now..
No offense, this might help someone sooner than later, and for me, I could have said I know what will fix it, but I will tell you tomorrow. Just doesn't sit well with me when most here have chimed in to assist. Knowledge is key.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is everyone so short these days? I didn't say tomorrow.. said in couple hours.. sheesh.. talk about a buzz kill there..

this is not a extremely important aspect to the vehicle operating.. so was just having a bit of fun with it..not like it's a thread where the steering calibration was off and it keeps going to the left.. it's a gratuitous bit of tech.

and when you think about what the issue is, especially when now it's narrowed down for you tremendously, you are more likely to have a good approach on the next thing you deal with..

so with that buzz kill here is what my issue turned out to be..

VPN... turned it off and now it has worked every time. strange part is I had it on before, so don't know how it developed but so far that's it.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Interesting. Well, at least there is a long list of things to try for the next person. Tech can be a pain.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
why is everyone so short these days? I didn't say tomorrow.. said in couple hours.. sheesh.. talk about a buzz kill there..

this is not a extremely important aspect to the vehicle operating.. so was just having a bit of fun with it..not like it's a thread where the steering calibration was off and it keeps going to the left.. it's a gratuitous bit of tech.

and when you think about what the issue is, especially when now it's narrowed down for you tremendously, you are more likely to have a good approach on the next thing you deal with..

so with that buzz kill here is what my issue turned out to be..

VPN... turned it off and now it has worked every time. strange part is I had it on before, so don't know how it developed but so far that's it.
Was not being short. Just thought it was odd you were making it a game that's all. I was trying to help for the last few days and you find a solution and want to hold on to the solution and play a game. No big deal. Just thought it was odd and not needed. I am old and grumpy so go figure. Just next time I help someone I may post 10 solutions and make them figure it out. LOL. Lesson learned.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Well, at least there is a long list of things to try for the next person. Tech can be a pain.
kinda makes a bit of sense once you think about it..kinda.. lol. I've had random apps freeze up on login.. mostly the more secure ones, like a banking app or my sons school portal.. so when someone mentioned that here, I just had to try it

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was not being short. Just thought it was odd you were making it a game that's all. I was trying to help for the last few days and you find a solution and want to hold on to the solution and play a game. No big deal. Just thought it was odd and not needed. I am old and grumpy so go figure. Just next time I help someone I may post 10 solutions and make them figure it out. LOL. Lesson learned.
LOL.. all good.. just thought I could drag another hour or two out of it.. it was already a few weeks.. I guess I am getting grumpy too.. sorry about that..

I live in LA, so there's a lot of 'short' ppl here especially driving, haha..

the winner for the best 'suggestion' goes to @HighwaySentinel !
Okay, I figured the bluetooth portion was obvious, but you never know. Couple of other things to check....Siri should be on for Carplay. Also, in some way or form, Carplay may have been turned into a restricted function. If you go to Settings>Screen Time>Content and Privacy Restrictions>Allowed Apps, you can check to make sure Carplay is allowed. If Screen time is not set up, it is allowed. You can also try disabling the EQ in Settings>Music>EQ. If you are using a VPN, that could also interfere with Carplay. Otherwise, update to the most current IOS, forget your car in Carplay and set it up again from scratch.

But a sincere thank you to all who chimed in.. this is why i appreciate the forums.. this one to be specific