Winch and leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Drewett

Reaction score
Hey people,

New here...in fact, so new, my 2020 Raptor build date is Aug 5th . I’ve already bought the Swarfworks hidden winch mount and winch (And some lights). I’ve been studying these threads on impact to stance from the winch, wanting to level somewhat and improve ride up front, and wanting to beef up rear for the occasional load in bed or tow of 16’ utility trailer. I’ll summarize what I think I’ve learned:
  • Stock stance is 2” lower in front
  • Winch and mount will lower another 3/4”
  • Geisers would add back 3” vs Eibachs at 1.7”, so thinking Geisers at this point
Now for the rear...
  • Deavers are - 0” (L83 or L83HD), 1” (L84, L84HD), or 2” (M44)
  • ICONs are - 1” (option 1), 2.25” (option 2), or 3” (option 3)
I like the idea of the ICONs because you get all 3 options in the same kit, but because I think I need option 2 or 3 for load purposes, I’m torn because I don’t think I’ll get the somewhat level look especially when the winch and mount are added.

If I went with Deavers, I guess I’d go with either the L84 or L84HD. I think the L83 series would have the front sitting higher than the rear and the M44 would be too high. The problem with Deavers is I don’t have any information about spring rates or differences between L8_ and L8_HD so I can’t effectively compare.

Are there shackles or other hardware I need to consider?

If any of you have winches or more knowledge on the differences in Deavers, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Of course, pictures of stance would be great too!

Thanks!

PS if any of my numbers above seem incorrect, please let me know your thoughts there as well!!

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great choice on the Swarfworks stuff we have the same winch on our truck! Paul is great to work with!

We have 750lb springs on the front with JRZ Suspension Engineering dampers, in the rear it is stock leaf springs!

We had the 750lb springs to start with and added the winch last month and never went up on spring rates. Ride height is the same, ride quality is the same, and over jumps the nose doesn't dive any more than normal. This kind of surprised us as we thought we would need to add some support but it works just fine!

Here are some before and after pictures of the truck profile with and without the winch!

The pictures in the snow are just JRZ's installed, with a spare tire and bed cover in the back. The summer pictures that I just took are with the winch but no spare tire and no bed cover.

IMG_4891.jpg Outside-4.jpg IMG_4892.jpg Outside-2.jpg