Why would you not buy a gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because V6! Ford missed an opportunity and lost a ton of customers that were waiting on them to bring back a V8 Raptor. They don't give a ****, and then there are all the Ford dealerships charging ADM for 2022's. What a joke.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it's because I still have less than 32k miles on my '18. I have TONS of mods on it, the G3 doesn't offer anything more than what I've got except for that sexy rear suspension. I really want a hybrid raptor so I'm waiting to see if that ever happens. That would get me to jump.
If Gen 3 had the 3.5HO plus the electric powerboost, I would be much more tempted.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going against the grain here looking at others post but why would not buy one (unless you couldn't afford it or don't want a new truck of course). I say this after browsing the web at 19/20 pricing hovering around +/- $75k for a fully loaded 802A from a dealer. Sure there are some deals out there but that's what i'm seeing. With that said I know of a dealer marking up $10k on basically a fully loaded 801A 35 package which comes out to $88k. That is 13k over the 19/20 used price but come, your right there with a Gen 3 and all the goodies that got upgraded. Your thoughts?
Because my 2018 Gen 2 is mint, fully loaded, has mods and only has 35K miles on it. The juice is not worth the squeeze IMO to get the ne and shiny toy. Not yet anyway.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going against the grain here looking at others post but why would not buy one (unless you couldn't afford it or don't want a new truck of course). I say this after browsing the web at 19/20 pricing hovering around +/- $75k for a fully loaded 802A from a dealer. Sure there are some deals out there but that's what i'm seeing. With that said I know of a dealer marking up $10k on basically a fully loaded 801A 35 package which comes out to $88k. That is 13k over the 19/20 used price but come, your right there with a Gen 3 and all the goodies that got upgraded. Your thoughts?
I have seen a few in the wild. I just simply don’t get the same feeling about it as I do the gen 2. Also, don’t want a covid truck.

Rustbucket

Reaction score
Fair question. For me, it's because every time I trade a vehicle I incur some monetary costs, some costs with my time, and it means my next vehicle trade will be at least 2 more years away. So if I traded my Gen 2 for a Gen 3 I wouldn't incur nearly as much monetary cost. Granted. But the time cost to me is still there. I have to deal with dealers, close the loan on my Gen 2, open a new loan on a Gen 3 (I don't have to finance, but I choose to because I find it financially smart to do so--YMMV), and then I've got some Gen 2 mods, so do I transfer them over? So there's a large time cost.

But the main thing is, I'd rather hang out a year and see what the Raptor R offers. And after I see that, I might choose a TRX instead. I don't want to be trading vehicles every 12 months. Even if the cost of trading is low, for a luxury item that does cost money to changeover, I'd rather prioritize that money for other things for my family.

So I've had my Gen 2 for 18 months. I'm gonna hang onto it another 9-12 months and see what the market has to offer. At that point I might still stick with it, or I might got for a R or a TRX. Just don't know. But if I got Gen 3 now, I kinda push myself out of having that flexibility in 9-12 months.
Dude! I know you secretly have a Cybertruck on back order :)

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford SCREWed the enthusiasts that wanted a sporty truck by removing the SCAB from the lineup. I will keep my GEN2 SCAB. I hope they bring back the SCABs so one day we may be able to purchase a new one.

Teraflx

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 so I can chime in here as well...

1. I did not want to wait for a new one. My dealers around here either had high ADM or pretty long wait lists.
2. I think the Gen 2 looks more aggressive than the Gen 3. They watered down the exterior in the new ones in my opinion. Yes the truck has nicer interior, suspension, etc. but the Gen 2 has those that are plenty nice for me and I am very impressed with it.
3. No lead foot on the 2022's (assuming I was able to get one) and that is a color I have had my heart set on since they released it in 2018. I almost bought a new Raptor in 2019 and was so bummed I couldn't have lead foot. It is part of why I didn't buy at the time.
4. I always worry about first year model vehicles. I know a 2022 wouldn't be first year but with such limit and late production on the 2021 I felt issues could be carried over to the 2022's if they arise.

I will trade my 2020 in eventually on a new one but for now I an enjoying every minute of it and I am glad I made the purchase.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Gen 2 exterior looks more aggressive. The rear applique on the Gen 2 is way more aggressive than the straight across design on the Gen 3.

I like the blue recaro seats/interior on the Gen 2, but on the Gen 3, they kind of went overboard with how much blue they put in there. It's a bit much.

The CF weave is also nicer on the Gen 2 than the Gen 3. Not sure if I would have gotten the Recaro seats on the Gen 3, but it would have been a nice option to get without needing to add the 37" package. I think the Recaro package on the Gen 2 was only $2-3k versus it being $7.5k for the 37/recaro package on the Gen 3.

I have a LF color right now, and it being a 2021 MY color only, I would be stuck trying to get a 2021 MY, so that would make it slightly more difficult as time goes on a well.

Overall though, I think for those who are have a Gen 2 now and are even considering any sort of basic mid travel suspension upgrades, it almost seems like a no brainer to jump into a Gen 3 for the suspension alone. It's probably around a $10k-$20k additional cost to go into a Gen 3 if you're trading up from a Gen 2 right now. Main cost factor is probably going to be the sales tax, but some states have trade in perks for that I believe.

To go linked on the rear of a Gen 2, you are looking at basically a $40k cost from SVC. Yea, it's probably much beefier than the Gen 3 set up, but there's no other cheaper options available, so that's the only real comparison you can kind of make. So for an extra $10-$20k, you are getting a lot that would cost a lot more to do on a Gen 2.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we’re to start……

1. Same HP/TQ numbers….

2. Update on the fly…. Ask the C7 vette guys about this and warranty…

3. The Gen2 was ******* boring to dive until I tuned with MPT….. The tuners are trying to figure out how to tune the Gen 3’s so it might be awhile….

4. The front of the truck is Fugly….

5. No LF in 2022….

6. NEVER buy a first year truck!

7. LOVE my Gen 2…..

Just my opinion