Why is this yellow fluid being expelled from side vent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
Just saying, it's more likely to be pollen mixed with moisture/rain than engine coolant spontaneously appearing in your side vents only. In your other pic it looks like there's pollen all over your engine bay.
How about you take it in to the dealer instead of playing I Spy on the forums?

it's not pollen. it's a very sticky substance that requires Goo Gone and some scrubbing to get off surfaces. When i picked up my truck on day one it was in the Fall, not a time when pollen is abundant. appreciate the suggestion, but I'm absolutely sure its not pollen

the coolant is also same color, and that seems a more likely culprit

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is anti-corrosion grease from under the hood somewhere. German makes used to refer to it as 'cosmoline' years ago (they still might) and it was a thick, smelly grease in paste form. You'd get it dripping from body cavities on really hot days on a newer car. Maybe they overapplied it to your truck in some areas?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
might be an ac coolant leak
What is AC coolant? The refrigerant boils off immediate to vapor when released, the refrigerat oil doesn't travel when leaked like automotive oil unless you actually poured some out of a jug, fyi, when under pressure it will remain within a few centimeters of the leaking area, especially in vehicles which don't have much in the system and is measured in ounces.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is AC coolant? The refrigerant boils off immediate to vapor when released, the refrigerat oil doesn't travel when leaked like automotive oil unless you actually poured some out of a jug, fyi, when under pressure it will remain within a few centimeters of the leaking area, especially in vehicles which don't have much in the system and is measured in ounces.
you know what i mean. yes refrigerant. i remember when i had my ac issue a couple years back, it spewed off similiar color liquid, (which you are right about evap) but it did leave spots like that.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The picture looks just like some ordinary spots of dried dirt after the truck gets rained on.

If it's coming from both vents, there would have to be an obvious fluid leak spraying all over the engine bay.

Since there's not...it's probably just dirt.