Why did Ford drop PSI from 44 to 38 for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can run closer to the 35psi range on the GEN1 it does kill a lot of the bounce. The 36/34 combo mentioned above is pretty much spot on for comfort IMO. If you don't re-program the tpms threshold you might get a tpms light with the GEN1. I think it kicks on at 38 or 37psi
Don't have a programmer, how can I get the TPMS threshold adjusted? My light comes on below 38 and I hate it! I want to run 36/34

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't have a programmer, how can I get the TPMS threshold adjusted? My light comes on below 38 and I hate it! I want to run 36/34

As far as I know you'll need a programmer/tuner. I'd recommend SCT if you do pick one up. I have a few diesel customers that were able to have the dealership change the threshold so they didn't have to run 75psi in the rear at all times but our local dealer says it not possible so not sure on how they did it.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 40 psi front / 36 rear for normal driving with load range E 35x12.5xR17 Firestone MT2's on stock rims.

Lower than 40 psi in the front gives me the feeling that sidewall is rolling over at freeway speeds with sharp steering wheel input. The lane keeper with active assist turned on feels dangerous when it corrects. It was worse with the BFG's that have a softer sidewall.

Higher than 40 psi is a harsh ride and would wear the tires in the center faster. But gets better MPG at higher pressure due to less rolling resistance.

I have not had to reprogram TPMS, seems to adapt. I think there is a minimum pressure that sets it off or it may get set off by a drop in pressure? FordPass always says my tire pressure is Low but there is no dash alert and display reads correct pressures.

On a Gen 2.

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gen 2, presumably set at 38F and 38R; does not alarm at 36/32 where I keep my tires for on road use. At 32/28 for off road the TPMS is triggered for the rear tires. I’ve been busy, but when I have the chance I plan to program front and rear at 32, which should tolerate 28 without alarming and not require a reset with tire rotation.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the drive home from the dealership in my brand new GEN1 I got a TPMS warning.
I thought it was pretty odd that the dealer only aired up the tires to 35 psi.
I have run 44 psi ever since and the factory tires and second-set Goodyear DuraTracs have run with even tire wear across the tread.
If you air tires down too far they will wear excessively and prematurely on the outside edges of the tread.
Once that wear pattern is established, it persists.
Airing the tires back up to a higher psi will not correct that improper wear pattern, it'll only stop it from getting worse.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the drive home from the dealership in my brand new GEN1 I got a TPMS warning.
I thought it was pretty odd that the dealer only aired up the tires to 35 psi.
I have run 44 psi ever since and the factory tires and second-set Goodyear DuraTracs have run with even tire wear across the tread.
If you air tires down too far they will wear excessively and prematurely on the outside edges of the tread.
Once that wear pattern is established, it persists.
Airing the tires back up to a higher psi will not correct that improper wear pattern, it'll only stop it from getting worse.

That's only if the tires are deflated enough to create deformity. At 34-38 psi, your tires are still more than fully filled under the load of just the truck weight. They don't lose their shape unless you air them down a lot—like running off-road pressures (in the 20s) on the street.