Why did Ford drop PSI from 44 to 38 for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door sticker on Gen 2s is 38 psi, but Gen 1s is 44 psi. The weight difference is only 500lbs total.

Does anyone know why? I'm thinking of dropping my street pressures from the 44 for less bounce in the rear. Maybe drop to 40 at least, but still wondering why the big drop from Ford.

Thanks!

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 1 trucks came with D load range tires and gen 2s come with C load range. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. I run KO2s C load range with 36 psi front 34 in the rear. The ride is a lot smoother with that air pressure. Most people lower their air pressure for a better ride give it a try.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try it. Tires really ride great overall, but always trying to make things just a little better! Haha. I'll take it down to 38 and see how that feels first. I run load range E tires because I tow a boat quite a bit. 44 PSI seems like overkill for unloaded daily driving though. Thanks

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you can run closer to the 35psi range on the GEN1 it does kill a lot of the bounce. The 36/34 combo mentioned above is pretty much spot on for comfort IMO. If you don't re-program the tpms threshold you might get a tpms light with the GEN1. I think it kicks on at 38 or 37psi

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can run closer to the 35psi range on the GEN1 it does kill a lot of the bounce. The 36/34 combo mentioned above is pretty much spot on for comfort IMO. If you don't re-program the tpms threshold you might get a tpms light with the GEN1. I think it kicks on at 38 or 37psi

Thanks Justin. I have a programmer so I can adjust TPMS. I'll give it a shot today, and see how it feels.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 1 trucks came with D load range tires and gen 2s come with C load range. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. I run KO2s C load range with 36 psi front 34 in the rear. The ride is a lot smoother with that air pressure. Most people lower their air pressure for a better ride give it a try.
That is the reason. However, I still run 38 psi with my D-rated 37s.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the reason. However, I still run 38 psi with my D-rated 37s.

Do the higher load tires D/E require higher pressures, or is it just that they can handle them with the extra load? I still want to drop pressures to 35-ish if I can for around town driving.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the higher load tires D/E require higher pressures, or is it just that they can handle them with the extra load? I still want to drop pressures to 35-ish if I can for around town driving.
For the higher loads. If you are not towing/hauling heavy, 35 should be fine.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the higher loads. If you are not towing/hauling heavy, 35 should be fine.

I pull a double axle boat trailer. It's about 5,500 lbs of boat/trailer a few times each summer. I forget the tongue weight, but it's around 500. Hasn't ever "felt" heavy behind the truck, and does have surge brakes.