Who went from Chevy /GMC to Gen 2 Raptor any thoughts or regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingrl

Reaction score
We went from a 2013 Ford F-350 diesel crew cab 6 inch lift to a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Now GM is buying back the Yukon since in less then a year it's been in the shop about 20 times on over 12 issues! So now we are going back to Ford. Getting a Raptor should be here by the end of the week.
The Denali transmission is horrible it feels like someone hit you from behind during downshifts. That transmission needs some work and GM claims that's normal.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went from a 2013 Ford F-350 diesel crew cab 6 inch lift to a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Now GM is buying back the Yukon since in less then a year it's been in the shop about 20 times on over 12 issues! So now we are going back to Ford. Getting a Raptor should be here by the end of the week.
The Denali transmission is horrible it feels like someone hit you from behind during downshifts. That transmission needs some work and GM claims that's normal.

The bang, feeling like getting rear ended by another vehicle, I experienced very prolifically in my '16 Sierra Denali 6.2L 8-speed unit. According to Truck Trend, who is currently doing a long term review with the same Sierra Denali, a computer reflash remedies this issue. However, the transmission still is far less refined and appealing to ZF's unit.

Vikingrl

Reaction score
The bang, feeling like getting rear ended by another vehicle, I experienced very prolifically in my '16 Sierra Denali 6.2L 8-speed unit. According to Truck Trend, who is currently doing a long term review with the same Sierra Denali, a computer reflash remedies this issue. However, the transmission still is far less refined and appealing to ZF's unit.

They tried that 3 times and it would be a little better for a few days and go right back to how it was. So glad to just be done with that car.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They tried that 3 times and it would be a little better for a few days and go right back to how it was. So glad to just be done with that car.

Aaahhhhh that sounds frustrating! I'm glad I got rid of my Denali too. I'm actually enjoying my RAM Rebel a lot more, and I paid $17,000 more for the dang Denali. I will say that I do miss the power--there is no doubt GM's 6.2L trumps the Hemi any day of the week, crappy GM made 8-speed and all.

Truck-in-Muck

Reaction score
Since we're bashing the GM 8-speed auto (some days, mine was great, other days, it was unevenly clunky)... and Ford co-developed their 10-speed auto with GM, how does the 10R80 compare in full duty?

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're bashing the GM 8-speed auto (some days, mine was great, other days, it was unevenly clunky)... and Ford co-developed their 10-speed auto with GM, how does the 10R80 compare in full duty?

I think my 16 ram zf 8 speed seems to have more low end gearing vs the 10r80 but so far I have seen it shifts as smooth as the ZF8 sp. I look forward to when my raptor is broken in to see what this 10r80 can do. Ford has done a good job with there trans since the 6 sp came out in 2009.

Monsoon Chopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a 2015 Denali, fully loaded - liked it, but the seats were a little thin on the butt support, and my ass would get sore after drive more than hour in it. Traded it in on a 2015 Charger SRT 392 - Loved this car! Kept it and bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock, which I put a 3.5" lift and many other mods. Loved, loved, loved driving the Jeep, but it was gutless. Plan was to put a 392 Hemi in it.

But I traded both the Charger and Jeep for a 2016 Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged. Best riding vehicle on the planet. Smooth as hell, even with the huge tires/rims I added to it. But traded the Rover for the Raptor and never looked back.

Raptor has so much room in it, technology is great, ride on the street is almost right there with the Rover (surprisingly for a truck!!), and to me the Raptor drives like a sports sedan. It drives no where like a truck. I love sitting up high in traffic. It fits in my garage and the airport terminal garage at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I work from home and travel a lot. Usually 3 - 5 trips a month. So it's perfect for me.

My main concern for the my Raptor is longevity. With all the technology, how long will it last. Will it hold up like the Fords of yesteryear, the V8's with a OD automatic? Time will tell. Do I wish it had a V8? Only for the sound, because the TTV6 is amazing!!! I have buddies who bought the 5.0 in their F150's because i talked them out of the EcoBoost. That was before I knew anything about it. My thought was V6's and full size pickup's do not go together. I was wrong and am big enough to admit it.

And Dodge/Ram does have the best 8-Speed transmission on the market - period!

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a 2015 Denali, fully loaded - liked it, but the seats were a little thin on the butt support, and my ass would get sore after drive more than hour in it. Traded it in on a 2015 Charger SRT 392 - Loved this car! Kept it and bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock, which I put a 3.5" lift and many other mods. Loved, loved, loved driving the Jeep, but it was gutless. Plan was to put a 392 Hemi in it.

But I traded both the Charger and Jeep for a 2016 Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged. Best riding vehicle on the planet. Smooth as hell, even with the huge tires/rims I added to it. But traded the Rover for the Raptor and never looked back.

Raptor has so much room in it, technology is great, ride on the street is almost right there with the Rover (surprisingly for a truck!!), and to me the Raptor drives like a sports sedan. It drives no where like a truck. I love sitting up high in traffic. It fits in my garage and the airport terminal garage at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I work from home and travel a lot. Usually 3 - 5 trips a month. So it's perfect for me.

My main concern for the my Raptor is longevity. With all the technology, how long will it last. Will it hold up like the Fords of yesteryear, the V8's with a OD automatic? Time will tell. Do I wish it had a V8? Only for the sound, because the TTV6 is amazing!!! I have buddies who bought the 5.0 in their F150's because i talked them out of the EcoBoost. That was before I knew anything about it. My thought was V6's and full size pickup's do not go together. I was wrong and am big enough to admit it.

And Dodge/Ram does have the best 8-Speed transmission on the market - period!

Man, you sound about like me LOL, sometimes averaging as many as 8 vehicles a year! But great to get all the auto experience. I've always loved the Rover's and the supercharged 5.0L V8 is an absolute beast! That is what I would step up to if I were buying the Sport--why waste time with the 6 cylinders? Totally agree with you on your sentiment on the ZF 8 speed in the RAM. Enjoy your Raptor!