Whippled for a week - First thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stig1

Reaction score
Stock '10 Raptor extended cab
2500 miles on truck
Whipple On for about a week
200 miles driven with the whipple installed.

Just wanted to share my initial thoughts

UnBoxing: After it arrived, The kit was far more involving than I would have ever expected! Two large boxs, and the bigger heavier one that we opened first did not even include the charger!

Quality: My installer has installed and worked on countless superchargers. We have been good personal friends for many years and he would not BS me with any info. He said it was one of the nicest kits he had seen, All the components were top quality, from the machining, to the out sourcing of any of the components. Even the instructions were spot on.

Upgrades: In addition to the whipple, we added only a boost guage, and a borla sport cat back exhaust to the drive system.

I have other 500+ hp sport cars so the power/acceleration to me is not as overwhelming as it might be to others, BUT... for the weight of the truck, and the size of the tires considered, it is massively impressive.

Learning to get the most out of it with the way the truck responds to the throttle and transmission takes a little to dial in. Not sure if the first batch of 6.2's (mine) had some different shifting parameters than the newer Raptors, but if cruising normally at 30-40 and you punch it, its not reacting fast, The supercharger is nearly instant, but you wait as the truck shifts down, rpms come up, then it plants you in the back of the seat. if you drop down a gear manually first to bring up some rpm, then the truck is snappy with the power. At 30 mph the rear tires can break loose!

Traction control: with it on, once the tires break a little, it will pull power and its not nearly as pleasant when your held back with your seat belt when your expecting to be feeling g's in the opposite direction. With traction off, this is MUCH better, you just have to roll on the throttle to keep the tires from breaking loose and wheel hopping.

Transmission: normal automatic driving, The Raptor shifts fast at low rpm's so if your wanting to feel a bit sporty its tricky, if you roll from a stop to far out, it'll shift to second pretty quick and you miss you opportunity to play with the supercharger. Manual mode shifting is ok, but the rpm's will jump up fast, and you will hit the rev limiter pretty fast.

Sound Levels: VERY QUIET for normal driving, You can hardly hear a faint whine with easy driving. I was nervous about this because ALL the videos were with full throttle flybys and the charger was screaming! Getting into the power, it will make all the noise you hear in the videos, but with an upgraded exhaust, you will still hear a little more exhaust note.

Fuel Milage: I will never really know this. I did see the average read 3.2 at one point, now its around 10-11. I think it will be the same as stock if you could resist playing.

Suspension: Under full power, the front of the truck become light, is it does not drop until your hitting the speed limiter at 110mph.

Power: Very snappy from a stop, first time driver will chirp tires from a stop. Very even consistent power, it feels pretty level through the full rpm range with it becoming stronger as the rpms come up rather than loosing any.

Cops: I will be getting a ticket in my near future. The truck already drives faster than you expect you are going. Now... if your listening to the sounds, your usually doing double the posted limits when you look at the speed.

Overall: It's no competition for the Ferrari, Or R8 V10, but it is now one of the meanest trucks on the road! I personally do not see the point with trying to squeeze just a little more performance by adding the long tubes. This seems to be 99% of all the tuning issues I have read. Using it within its intended configuration is working out great for me!

Nice job Whipple!
and Thanks!

Last edited:

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,
Nice info.
How about I come over,you drive your truck,I will take your Ferrari,and we will see who gets to 110 mph first.LOL
Did you get a R8 for your wife?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up!

Remember the first 50 miles fuel trims cycle and 300 miles for transmission shift cycle.
If your going to drive differently everyday for the first 300 miles your going to have some hippcups with shift points small but some.
Trust me I know it's hard to keep the foot from dropping. LOL

Now this applies to the 2010, the 2012 and 2011 this is not as much of a problem, Ford has improved the PCM software already on the newer models.
I have already inquired about if I could swap PCMs from year to year, have not recieved a conformation on that yet.

I also want to point out that the truck has to be at completely warmed up especially the trans temp before it will shift correctly at full throttle.
If you're going to drive normal it dosen't matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stig1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make a post and address a lot of the questions that I had when I was considering the whipple. There are a lot of problematic posts recently, and I think is because of other variables.

Hey Jeff,
Nice info.
How about I come over,you drive your truck,I will take your Ferrari,and we will see who gets to 110 mph first.LOL
Did you get a R8 for your wife?

Wife still gets more tickets in her mini van!

Nice write up!

Remember the first 50 miles fuel trims cycle and 300 miles for transmission shift cycle.
If your going to drive differently everyday for the first 300 miles your going to have some hippcups with shift pionts small but some.
Trust me I know it's hard to keep the foot from dropping. LOL

Now this applies to the 2010, the 2012 and 2011 this is not as much of a problem, Ford has improved the PCM software already on the newer models.
I have already inquired about if I could swap PCMs from year to year, have not recieved a conformation on that yet.

I also want to point out that the truck has to be at completely warmed up especially the trans temp before it will shift correctly at full throttle.
If you're going to drive normal it dosen't matter.

Foot drops every time im in it now... I just has to!!
I heard that the newer trucks had a different shift feel.
Yep, warmer is always better!
and lastly... I always drive normal!

2500 miles on 2012 truck? You need to go drive that thing!

yea, I know... its a 2010 actually, I think you just made a typo.

Rusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could not the trans issue be solved by some one like five star.
I understand he fixes this problems. I don't know for sure one way or another.
The guy at five star seems to know his shit so maybe ask him what he thinks about
2010's

I would like to see the issues solved with the whipple and long tube headers.
I like headers. SW make a nice set.

I just don't understand why these two componts can not be dialed in???????????
I talked to a guy in south Jersey, He seemed to feel no problem.
Once and for all, something needs to be done.
Rusty

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Could not the trans issue be solved by some one like five star.
I understand he fixes this problems. I don't know for sure one way or another.
The guy at five star seems to know his shit so maybe ask him what he thinks about
2010's

I would like to see the issues solved with the whipple and long tube headers.
I like headers. SW make a nice set.

I just don't understand why these two componts can not be dialed in???????????
I talked to a guy in south Jersey, He seemed to feel no problem.
Once and for all, something needs to be done.
Rusty

Use to be easy to fix for LT's, now more difficult. Aftermarket tuners usually turn off the O2 correction and codes for O2, therefore it works, but you lose most of your emissions compatibility. While this is "ok" in some places for some customers, this is not what were doing. Were going the more OEM route to make a entirely new model for the predictive O2 system. Its very complicated and extremely expensive, but its being worked on.

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice review.

No competition for the Ferrari or Audi R8? You do realize that your not in a sports car your in a Truck right? What kind of Ferrari do you have there are a few members on here with 458s and M16s?