Adding a Supercharger at 100K good or bad idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, truck just clicked 100K… and I am considering a blower… motor wise it is 100% bone stock, serviced regularly and runs like a champ. Link to my build below if you wanna take a look.

Considering a Whipple or Rousch, strictly for fun…. Truck runs great as I mentioned, but who doesn’t like more power…… Thoughts, comments. It has 101K miles

Morgans Gen1

Reaction score
Im not going to say I know the answer if its smart or not but I've seen a bunch of whipple gen1s with well over 100k. Im curious to know myself as I am new to the Raptor

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 6.2…. If putting a super charger on at 100K miles is a bad idea, it would be a bad idea at 50K miles too. Tons of supercharged trucks out there.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing this .
I have 140 on mine and think about it often.
I would think adding the blower at 100, rather than having it boosted for those 100 might give a better chance of good results.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
One of two things is going to happen if you do SC your good running 6.2 Raptor. You will have a 6.2 Raptor with more HP or a Raptor with a blown engine! If you wind up with the blown engine good luck finding a replacement.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of two things is going to happen if you do SC your good running 6.2 Raptor. You will have a 6.2 Raptor with more HP or a Raptor with a blown engine! If you wind up with the blown engine good luck finding a replacement.
Join the 6.2 window edition with me and have it both ways!

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2013 Roush Stage II. 160k miles, all supercharged. The drivetrain held up. I had a period of significant issues with the 2013 serpentine belt configuration that was resolved once I removed a ribbed idler pulley (not present on the 2014 kits) and a tune from VMP.

That said, I was pretty easy on that truck given the 6.2 wasn't designed with forced induction in mind and the growing issues with replacement parts/engines. I had a 2022 TRX for about three months before selling it. I went WOT much more in three months with that truck than I did with the Roush in five years. Similarly, I have a 2018 Raptor with a tune, injectors, large FMIC and E85 and 91 tunes. I have went WOT as much in this truck as a I did with the TRX. Could something let go? Sure. Is my confidence level in the boosted 3.5 higher than my boosted 6.2? Yes it is.

Last edited:

trick76cj5

Reaction score
I guess i don't understand how a truck with 100k miles on it, if healthy, is different than a truck with 25k miles on it?

I've seen a lot of high mileage Roush trucks for sale and they don't do anything special to the motor. I don't think i would be too worried about it myself. Just make sure your replace all the o-rings and seals that are impacted by the installation as they well be old and hard, and plan to replace all the hoses . .. but with a good tune, i don't see it being any more risky.

That being said, i do have a core motor in the shop if anyone is looking for a spare :-D

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see finding a brand new 6.2 would be hard but the 6.2 is pretty much dime a dozen

adding a sc on the 6.2 is not as ideal as on a 5.0L. the coyote has so much more aftermarket parts and support.

Last edited: