Which portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Co2 is great / fantastic - but - if you are on an extended trip, you can run out and have to figure out where to fill it up. It is fast though and doesn't heat the air or create moisture. I used home made Co2 cylinders systems - (2) 10 Lbs - one is easier to maneuver. You can still use one 10Lbs when the other is empty or being recertified and not have down time. Weight is almost the same for (2) 10lbs as (1) 20Lbs. If you pull a trailer - I do not yet - you might need more than a 20Lbs for a few air ups.
I will be replacing my co2 cylinders for a twin compressor set up in the bed with a 3 to 3.5 gallon reserve tank under the bed. I can still run air tools which hopefully I won't need to again LOLOL but air up will take a tad longer - Also more weight & $$$$.

Last edited:

preston707

Reaction score
So after airing down, other than on-board air, which portable air compressor do you use to air back up? I was looking at the Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K25GMG/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

or:
VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9AXR8/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Would like to stay around $200 as I won't need it a lot.
Any experience on fill rate would be helpful.

thanks,

I think both of them are heavy-duty.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
This was a timely thread. So happy I found it! Went with the VIAIR 440P. Wealth of information as always. Thanks guys!

I might just purchase that one myself instead of the Dual ARB Compressor as the 440P VIAIR is supposed to be a really good one and I believe it has a 100% duty cycle which is important.

I know on one YouTube channel the person that owned one had it for several years and stated it was still working fine and he never had any issues with it.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I might just purchase that one myself instead of the Dual ARB Compressor as the 440P VIAIR is supposed to be a really good one and I believe it has a 100% duty cycle which is important.

I know on one YouTube channel the person that owned one had it for several years and stated it was still working fine and he never had any issues with it.
M
The ARB twin is 100% duty cycle as well.

I will point out that where you mount it matters. The ARB has fans which you wouldn’t want to dip up with mud. I mounted my ARB in the bed to help keep it cleaner.

Im not sure on the viair but if it doesn’t have fans it may survive under the truck better.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on the fence and didn't want to spend the additional coin if it wasn't needed, but I ended up going with the ARB CKMP12 over the Viair and the reason was duty cycle, the ARB's "stated" duty cycle was about 50% better if I recall, and it came mounted in a tackle box, which is nice. I think the ARB I have is 50% duty cycle and the 440p was 30% duty cycle.

Used it twice, works good, but I admit I was only airing up from around 25 psi after 30 mile washboard dirt road, with some lower moderate trailing.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
I was on the fence and didn't want to spend the additional coin if it wasn't needed, but I ended up going with the ARB CKMP12 over the Viair and the reason was duty cycle, the ARB's "stated" duty cycle was about 50% better if I recall, and it came mounted in a tackle box, which is nice. I think the ARB I have is 50% duty cycle and the 440p was 30% duty cycle.

Used it twice, works good, but I admit I was only airing up from around 25 psi after 30 mile washboard dirt road, with some lower moderate trailing.

Your correct it's the 450P that's 100% duty cycle.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score

It's the 450P that's 100% duty cycle.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither, they are light duty compressors and will shut off and restart multiple times before tire fill up. Those two would probably take you at least 30 minutes to fill all 4 tires from 18 lbs to 35 lbs. You need something bigger like this from VIAIR or you should consider a CO2 or HPA system. All will run over $200 though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9BXQS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

We filled 3 vehicles from 15 lbs to roughly 35 lbs in around 45 mins on Saturday using the Smittybuilt. Worked just fine.

Last edited: