What makes a Raptor a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What the hell did I get a raptor for then raptors suck

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Or are you talking harly
Yes, the Harley but also starting in 2012, you could get the 6.2 in a XLT, FX2, FX4, Lariat, and Platinum.

Raptor has 4.10 gears too, you can only get 4.10's in a normal F150 if you chose them as an option on a FX4 with the Ecoboost.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks, I looked there but it's too high level and marketing speak.

SVT invested a considerable amount of effort into making the Raptor.

I've read some comments in other boards along the lines of "just upgrade the suspension on an FX4 and it's just like a Raptor". This can't be true.

I'd love to understand the engineering work that SVT put into the Raptor that goes beyond bolt ons, like tires or wheels or shocks.

Off Road Mode seems to be one. Longer control arms, wider track.

What about shock mounts? Axels? That sort of stuff is what I'm trying to learn.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about shock mounts? Axels? That sort of stuff is what I'm trying to learn.
Shock mounts are the same except for the lower control arm. Same 9.75 rear end in the back but wider, but I think the axle spline count is different? Can't remember if that last part was for the front, rear, or both.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All 2011+ F150's with the LCD info screen have the off road truck apps. Hill Decent was added to 2013+ FX4's and 4x4's with the 4x4 Off-Road Package and 2012+ could lock the rear diff in 2wd but only up to 2 mph. But otherwise yes, one of the biggest differences is Off-Road Mode and the different TC settings that ORM enables, and for the first couple years, the exclusivity of Hill Decent and locking the diff in 2wd.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

The 6.2 was brought into some of the other F150 trims in 2012. Only reason you don't see too many is because most dealers aren't stocking them other than on the Raptor.

Smart ass college kids! Lol...

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
  • Fox shocks
  • Rear springs
  • Wheels/Tires
  • Upper and lower control arms
  • Wide rear axle
  • Front bumper
  • Skidplates
  • Painted Rear bumper
  • Glass Front fenders
  • Glass Hood
  • Grille
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Aux switches w/ custom logo
  • Off-road Mode
  • Hill-Descent mode
  • Front Torsion Differential (2012+)
  • ECU Programming (e.g., ability to lock rear axle in 2wd / high speed)
  • Reinforced rear frame (2013+)
  • Seat graphics
  • Various colors
  • Optional hood/bedside graphics
  • Logos
  • Availability of short bed + SuperCab (not available on any other F-150 after MY'09).

Short version: what makes a Raptor a Raptor is all the stuff on a F-150 that everyone on FRF desperately wants to remove and replace on their truck with aftermarket parts, except for the grille and graphics.

So a Raptor is a grille and graphics.

mmmmmm, that and a pair of testicles.