GEN 1 What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATS

Reaction score
I know your problem I have the same 2 year ago.The bleu bolt in the lower table ford put to mutch tred on the bolt and this is the problem. ford never said.I change this left and right bolt for a jobber one and no more rattles. Sorry for my English I am French. go luck

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a rattle on my new 2019 and found that the fuel tank skid was vibrating against the fuel tank,dropped a couple nuts and put foam tape between skid and tank.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I think my issue is that heat shield. It is two pieces and I am also missing a bolt that connect the two pieces together. The truck is hot now but when it cools off I am going to try and get a nut and bolt in there and see if that solves the problem. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I think my issue is that heat shield. It is two pieces and I am also missing a bolt that connect the two pieces together. The truck is hot now but when it cools off I am going to try and get a nut and bolt in there and see if that solves the problem. Weird.

I don't think there's a bolt between tthem. I know there's a hole but I see no wear from a bolt that fell out and if you look real close it looks like theres a tac weld that connects them. You'll see a little circular irregularity on the metal where it overlaps and on mine they are connected by that it seems.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. When I hit it gently with a mallet it rattles just like what I am hearing. So maybe the weld broke lose? Getting dark here. Will have a go in the morning.

JP77

Reaction score
Interesting. When I hit it gently with a mallet it rattles just like what I am hearing. So maybe the weld broke lose? Getting dark here. Will have a go in the morning.

as a former Jeep owner, I found all rattles with a soft rubber mallet.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard about a golf ball inside the frame rails once from a body guy I used to know... Had "you found the problem" written on it.

That’s really funny. No luck finding yet for me. Spent 4 hours on it yesterday. Took off the skid plate, grille, heat shield, cowling and wiper motor, left front wheel and still nothing. Driving me crazy. It’s loud enough that if you are standing on the street and I drive by you would look over and say, “man what is wrong with that truck?”

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s really funny. No luck finding yet for me. Spent 4 hours on it yesterday. Took off the skid plate, grille, heat shield, cowling and wiper motor, left front wheel and still nothing. Driving me crazy. It’s loud enough that if you are standing on the street and I drive by you would look over and say, “man what is wrong with that truck?”

Same here. It sounds like the truck will fall apart at any moment. I did find that my tuned mass damper (mentioned earlier) is pretty dang floppy. I zip tied it down to the frame best I can but I'm not confident it is tight enough and I still get the sound. If I stop being lazy some day I'll get my sawsall and cut it off

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk