GEN 1 What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hearing a rattle when my drivers side tire hit a bump. After looking under the truck I saw the attached pic. Apparently missing a bolt? What is that metal protective looking piece?

Thanks!

C111ed2b4908b37f4181bfbf819fc172c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given it wraps up on top of and around the sides of the front driveshaft flange, which is right next to a hot cat & transmission, I'd assume it's a heat shield.
I'm looking in the Motorcraft Service manual but I don't see it. I see the front driveshaft, but it doesn't show the shield.
At any rate, you are definitely missing a bolt.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly that wasn’t the rattle. So I’m still looking...

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! For several months now I've been trying to locate a horrendous rattle when going over bumps, unsuccessfully.
I don't know how far in the process you are, but here are some things I learned and tried over the months:

Locating the area of rattles through open cab windows is very difficult. Sound can be deceiving when it's traveling through material. If you're sitting in the front driver seat, you'll swear it's coming from the front drivers side. If you're sitting in the front passenger seat, you'll swear it's coming from the front passenger side.
If you're sitting in the bed of the truck (thanks dad!) you'll realize it's actually coming from the rear and you can't really tell which side.

Hearing it from outside it seemed to be coming from the rear. To confirm whether it was the front or rear I rolled the windows down and ran over a speed bump at the kid's school. Every time when the front hits, no sound, rear hits, big sound.

First thing I did was remove my trailer hitch.
Then I tried shimming my exhaust (the exhaust tips are really close to the body).
I visually inspected, banged, pulled, and pushed on every square inch of the visible undercarriage paying special attention to exhaust hangers and heat shields, as well as driveshaft joints.
Haven't taken weight off the rear end yet, but I inspected the leaf springs and U-bolts under weight.

One thing that showed up in my research which I haven't checked yet: Broken parking brake shoe

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That def needs a nut, its a heat shield to protect the cv bearing for the front driveshaft. It gets hella hot down there. My bet is you probably have a rattly heat shield elsewhere. Otherwise is it the shock rattle?

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! For several months now I've been trying to locate a horrendous rattle when going over bumps, unsuccessfully.
I don't know how far in the process you are, but here are some things I learned and tried over the months:

Locating the area of rattles through open cab windows is very difficult. Sound can be deceiving when it's traveling through material. If you're sitting in the front driver seat, you'll swear it's coming from the front drivers side. If you're sitting in the front passenger seat, you'll swear it's coming from the front passenger side.
If you're sitting in the bed of the truck (thanks dad!) you'll realize it's actually coming from the rear and you can't really tell which side.

Hearing it from outside it seemed to be coming from the rear. To confirm whether it was the front or rear I rolled the windows down and ran over a speed bump at the kid's school. Every time when the front hits, no sound, rear hits, big sound.

First thing I did was remove my trailer hitch.
Then I tried shimming my exhaust (the exhaust tips are really close to the body).
I visually inspected, banged, pulled, and pushed on every square inch of the visible undercarriage paying special attention to exhaust hangers and heat shields, as well as driveshaft joints.
Haven't taken weight off the rear end yet, but I inspected the leaf springs and U-bolts under weight.

One thing that showed up in my research which I haven't checked yet: Broken parking brake shoe

You ever take a look at the vibration damper that's above the frame rail, driver side, between the rear bumper and rear axle? Its a big piece of steel that rattles around to take frame vibrations out. I have contemplating tearing it off and hucking it into a forest since I have no clue what it does. Its isolated on rubber bushings that I imagine wear out like everything else rubber on the raptor

aj.cruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever take a look at the vibration damper that's above the frame rail, driver side, between the rear bumper and rear axle? Its a big piece of steel that rattles around to take frame vibrations out. I have contemplating tearing it off and hucking it into a forest since I have no clue what it does. Its isolated on rubber bushings that I imagine wear out like everything else rubber on the raptor

Dang, in all my research I never came across that. I'll check it out thanks.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thoughts. I will investigate more in the morning.

Thanks for the wisdom!

C

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These rattle sounds remind me of when I was working at a Ford dealer back in the 80's, '88 to be exact. I remember a Crown Vic Country Squire wagon that had a rattle no one could find. Got it in the shop, found the rattle in the left rear quarter area after a ride in the back of the vehicle, had to get customer permission to cut a hole in the metal panel under the plastic panel. And what did I find? a beer bottle hanging by a wire inside the quarter panel, with a note, which said...... " by the time your ******* find this, I will have long been retired".... that was a high line car for Ford back in the day, so nothing surprises me..........

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
I had a similar rattle on my truck and it was the sway bar end links. Just enough play in them to "clunk" over bumps. Took me forever to figure it out. Put in new ones and problem solved.