What is this rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gen 2 is 2018 with 106k miles. I never had cam phaser done didnt have any problems. just noticed on cold starts something is a rattling for 2-3sec and goes away. Is this cam phaser? Wastegate? What could it be?

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my truck back after 10 days. While taking care of the cam phaser issue they
Replaced water pump, thermostat. Not sure if I got the new cam phaser part or not but they gave me 2 year unlimited mile warranty on the work.
IMG_9402.jpegIMG_9401.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just got my truck back after 10 days. While taking care of the cam phaser issue they
Replaced water pump, thermostat. Not sure if I got the new cam phaser part or not but they gave me 2 year unlimited mile warranty on the work.
The old part numbers were purged from stock years ago. You got the updated ones.

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet thank you for confirming. Glad I had aftermarket warranty to cover $3800 worth of repairs.

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post cam phaser update. Few issues
1. Got CEL next day. Scanned the code and it is P0521 oil pressure sensor switch.
2. When cruising 50-60mph truck does not shift into 9th gear but in manual mode it works. Called the service manger he said tranny has to relearn my driving patterns.
3. Truck seems louder inside the cabin. I can hear the engine/exhaust noise louder than before while accelerating. Not sure if I am being paranoid or not.

I will be taking the truck back to the dealer to get the CEL resolved.... hopefully this will be a quick turnaround.
Any of you that had cam phasers done had any similar problems like this?