What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a lighter fly wheel won't remedy body roll, but my thinking is the lighter fly wheel will support acceleration or regaining momentum after reducing speed or slowing down due to terrain - so with a lighter fly wheel it'll pick up a bit faster than with the stock.
Thinking out loud here...

Its not a bad thought process, but we have an automatic tranny...can't imagine the flywheel is very heavy to begin with. Any weight savings might be on the order of grams up to perhaps a few pounds. Granted, drive-train weight (including the weight of the tires/wheels) has a higher penalty than weight in other areas--so again, its worth considering.

For those not aware, a manual tranny has a drastically heavier flywheel as it has the thick, heavy surface like that of a brake rotor, only larger. And then there is the flex-plate assembly and clutch friction surface that also add weight. Auto trannies typically run a simple stamped steel fly-wheel that is inherently lighter, but then they also have a big heavy torque converter which introduces a further penalty in the form parasitic drag. A lighter, more optimized torque converter on the other hand might be worth considering. If not re-gearing, a slightly higher stall speed might completely negate the off-the-line power lost to the heavier, larger tire. But a high quality torque converter is not cheap.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirty truck???.... I’m with you Mudluvin’.... as often as I am off road and dirty, it makes no sense to try to keep up with keeping it clean. I beat on my trucks and make them work. Scratches and crap on it are just par for the course when it comes to my stuff. Love it

I'm just waiting for someone to accuse it of being a pavement princess. :p

I enjoy detailing, it's really a stress reliever for me. I get the same weird calming effect out of mowing my lawn, too. I agree, though: these are trucks, and trucks get a pass on being dirty. Little to do right now, everything's closed and the weather is super nice right now, so might as well. Nonetheless, it should be good for the summer...might give it an extra coat of WG next wash. Nothing sticks to that stuff.

IMG_6667.JPG

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a bad thought process, but we have an automatic tranny...can't imagine the flywheel is very heavy to begin with. Any weight savings might be on the order of grams up to perhaps a few pounds. Granted, drive-train weight (including the weight of the tires/wheels) has a higher penalty than weight in other areas--so again, its worth considering.

For those not aware, a manual tranny has a drastically heavier flywheel as it has the thick, heavy surface like that of a brake rotor, only larger. And then there is the flex-plate assembly and clutch friction surface that also add weight. Auto trannies typically run a simple stamped steel fly-wheel that is inherently lighter, but then they also have a big heavy torque converter which introduces a further penalty in the form parasitic drag. A lighter, more optimized torque converter on the other hand might be worth considering. If not re-gearing, a slightly higher stall speed might completely negate the off-the-line power lost to the heavier, larger tire. But a high quality torque converter is not cheap.

I wasn't familiar with automatic transmission flywheel systems.

an excerpt from from quora.com that complements what you said:

The flywheel (if manual) or flex plate (if automatic transmission) is a disc that is bolted to the crankshaft at the rear of the engine. It serves several purposes:

On a manual transmission vehicle, it provides one of the friction surfaces for the clutch. The clutch pressure plate is bolted to it and the clutch disk is sandwiched between the two.

On an automatic transmission vehicle it is actually called a flex plate and the torque converter of the transmission bolts to it.
Lighter flywheels help the engine rev up faster initially, because they require less force to accelerate their rotation, but have less momentum to keep the RPM steady when the clutch is disengaged or the throttle/load is changed rapidly.

Lighter flywheels are often touted as a ‘performance’ upgrade because they allow aggressive drivers to rev the engine faster and accelerate a little faster off the line. These drivers obviously won’t care about smooth gear shifting.

Flex plates (again, the flywheels on automatic transmissions), don’t really get designed for mass as much because the torque converter is always bolted to them and the fluid dynamics inside of it are what will determine how the RPM changes during changing inputs like deceleration or shifting into neutral.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you go 37s, do it right for the peace of mind and full experience

I'm putting this out there and I hope you other gents chime in (and probably correct me)

Without having to change final gear ratio on Raptor (assuming this is something good to do with the larger tires /added unsprung weight), maybe a lighter flywheel can mitigate the dire need for final gear ratio?

A friend did this with his yamaha yxz 1000r buggy, after adding heavier tires, a lighter fly wheel remedied some drop in power loss

I went with 37s on my 2018 and I did not change the gear ratio. I considered going to 4:56, but decided the MPT 93 PRX tune I did at the same time would more than make up for any power loss. Plus, I wanted keep my MPGs as high as possible for the long drives across Texas. After 2 years, I can say I am totally fine running 4:11s and the tune makes my truck a pleasure to drive offroad, in stop and go traffic, as well as on long trips.

I say do it and add a tune if you feel a loss of power!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had to get a new battery. Truck was delivered 12/8/2017 (as a 2018) and battery is dead less than 2.5 years later. Decided to go with an Optima Yellow Top. A bit smaller than the OEM but just as powerful.

NopTtqTTmny5jY-ckp233ABjPgd_gePgck10IbgPqdFM=w2400.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc