What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used fluid film before on stuff like dirtbikes & snowblowers (would have tried it on my GM trucks but GM uses a protective wax from the factory so I just purchased & reapplied what was already on there: Daubert Chemical Co. NOx Rust or something - decent but requires lots of regular touchups/reapplication & is tacky/messy)

I really recommend you try Amsoil's HDMP - particularly this newer formula they came out w/ fairly recently. I WENT TO TOWN on my Raptor w/ it, dropped the spare scuffed any already rusty/oxidized bits up w/ scour pad, cleaned/wiped everything down & made sure it was bone dry before applying. I painted the rear axle/diff w/ rustoleum first. I think I used a total of 5 cans on my truck & before winter I'll have my mechanic use another 2 cans to really have a semi-permanent protective coating. You can literally see the extra layer of "soft texture" to the frame/undercarriage, but it somehow is basically dry to the touch & not only hydrophobic it also repels dirt/dust somehow - that is the biggest difference between fluid film + the consistency, it goes on runny but literally dries to almost a bees wax consistency, not greasy film.

I backed my new waverunner trailer in/out of a salt water launch this past week a 1/2 dozen times - the back section of the frame got a good soaking in salt water, all i did was hose off lightly when I got back home, the waverunner, the trailer, & the sides of the bed still had "salt dots" or water spots that required additional cleaning/rinsing etc. to really get the salt completely off, while the frame was spotless & still had the slight tacky texture of the wax coat fully intact.

Side-note - I used this stuff called "Yamashield" a metal protective spray for marine applications by Yamaha, & I think it would also be a great product to use on any bare AL parts you'd want to coat or anything that you wouldn't want fluid film gunk or even the HDMP that will tint some stuff yellow once applied & is more visible. This Yamashield stuff is probably just as heavy duty & dries to a clear coat, it is safe & even recommended to use on plastic & rubber parts.
Holy shit, 5 cans!!

I thought I coated the living hell out of my frame and still have about 1/3 of the can left and that’s after “buffing” the exhaust tips.

Maybe I need to back under there.

I’ll be interested to see how this holds up in MN for the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

two0seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edited my son’s head out of this picture while I’m at work offshore wishing I was home to actually do something to it. c66aa859b202e35ba59a8ecd67a1c4ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We took the Raptor on the dunes by Winchester Bay, OR. It was the first time in deep sand, and I have to say I was a little nervous. We went with our friends in their Hemi Jeep, so I knew he could rescue me if needed.

It did great! I used deep sand mode for a while, but it stayed in 4 Hi, so I switched to 4 Lo and it worked better. We had no problems, and when we didn't make a hill on the first try, we backed down and tried again. I had the traction control kick in once, so I turned that off and had no other problems. It really did as well as his Jeep with 40" tires. The collision avoidance system did not like sand. Twice I had it go into failure. The way the sun was it was really hard for me to get a depth of field with the sand, so I think that was the problem. Several times we had to get out and walk ahead to see the drops in the sand.

There are two other dune areas around here where you can ride on the dunes and even down to the beach, they are much larger areas. The one we went on today, you can't get to the beach. We will do another one probably on Friday, as it is going to rain the next two days.

I know there has been several threads about air systems to inflate your tires. I use an ARB twin (no tank) and blew the stock KO2s from 13 psi to 34 psi in one minute and 45 seconds per tire. Of course, we are at sea level. Altitude will change that time.Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome

Did you do anything to mount the hooks beside just fit them in there and tighten?

Nope. They’re just smittybuilt hooks that are like $12. Just put em in there. They don’t even move around at all.

Heeter87

Reaction score
We took the Raptor on the dunes by Winchester Bay, OR. It was the first time in deep sand, and I have to say I was a little nervous. We went with our friends in their Hemi Jeep, so I knew he could rescue me if needed.

It did great! I used deep sand mode for a while, but it stayed in 4 Hi, so I switched to 4 Lo and it worked better. We had no problems, and when we didn't make a hill on the first try, we backed down and tried again. I had the traction control kick in once, so I turned that off and had no other problems. It really did as well as his Jeep with 40" tires. The collision avoidance system did not like sand. Twice I had it go into failure. The way the sun was it was really hard for me to get a depth of field with the sand, so I think that was the problem. Several times we had to get out and walk ahead to see the drops in the sand.

There are two other dune areas around here where you can ride on the dunes and even down to the beach, they are much larger areas. The one we went on today, you can't get to the beach. We will do another one probably on Friday, as it is going to rain the next two days.

I know there has been several threads about air systems to inflate your tires. I use an ARB twin (no tank) and blew the stock KO2s from 13 psi to 34 psi in one minute and 45 seconds per tire. Of course, we are at sea level. Altitude will change that time.View attachment 125865 View attachment 125866 View attachment 125867 View attachment 125868

How did you mount your flag? Planning on taking mine out to the dunes in Oregon soon, I remember reading somewhere the flag was supposed to be mounted in the back, but most mounts I have seen are for the front or the hitch and like what you have better.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mounted the flag in kind of a hillbilly way. Since I have moved the spare from underneath (to gain clearance) to lay flat in the bed of the truck, (using the bed bolts to hold D rings so I can ratchet strap the tire down) I bolted the flag mount to one of the lug bolt holes in the tire. When I am not on the dunes, I just remove the flag (leaving the mount) and close the bed cover. Since I changed both the front and rear bumpers, there really is not a good other place to mount it.