What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also did diff this weekend, added a mag hytech cover with it. Only filled like 3.5 qts as i filled thru the factory fill port which was under mag hytechs dip stick marker. Sucks its not true on the capacity but at least some extra and easier changes.

View attachment 398202
My opinions on mag-hytec [style] diff covers has shifted a bit since Gale Banks put out his hit piece on them a few years ago; I understand it was a lot of advertising their own product and that has to be taken into consideration, but the fluid level being about the same is probably better than a ton more fluid in there. I would be worried about aeration of fluids and losing the lubricating effect the are there for.

I still have my mag-hytec cover on my truck and like you said its easier to do fluid checks and changes, thats the main benefit IMO.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My opinions on mag-hytec [style] diff covers has shifted a bit since Gale Banks put out his hit piece on them a few years ago; I understand it was a lot of advertising their own product and that has to be taken into consideration, but the fluid level being about the same is probably better than a ton more fluid in there. I would be worried about aeration of fluids and losing the lubricating effect the are there for.

I still have my mag-hytec cover on my truck and like you said its easier to do fluid checks and changes, thats the main benefit IMO.
Agreed and this is why I like the Ford Performance Diff cover - same shape as OEM.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed and this is why I like the Ford Performance Diff cover - same shape as OEM.
You can get the DANA branded cover for like 100 bucks less, but yeah your point still stands. Next time I get motivated to do a fluid change I may do the diff cover swap too.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can get the DANA branded cover for like 100 bucks less, but yeah your point still stands. Next time I get motivated to do a fluid change I may do the diff cover swap too.
Yeah it's labeled Spicer - and when I got mine 5 years ago, it was only like $30 more than the spicer so I got the FP thinking ford couldn't give me shit about a non ford part...

Nolo0125

Reaction score
Just bought my first mod for my 19 Raptor( well second if you add my Blue Ox tow bar so I can take it with us on our Canadian RV trip all the way to Newfoundland!
My latest mod is adding both the Cobb Tune Stage 1 with TCM and the Cobb CAI. Will install it after my initial tow across FL to get any wrinkles out of the flat towing.
View attachment 398012
2nd Mod done- Cobb CAI and Cobb Tune Stage 1 93 and TCM. Sounds better and oh she does shift smoother. Also kind of cool to leave it plugged in and see the gauges. Probably not going to stage 2 for a while. Maybe Goosetune it later and pick up another 30/40 hp. Oh and taking her on the 1st trip where the raptor is pulled behind the T Rex… ha
857A579F-D0FF-4050-874B-1D3524CD5A7A.jpegD5127BA2-F4FC-476F-B38E-FE2A80A57164.jpeg

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Was thinkin same thing, i had a fp cover on my previous raptor, went with this one cause my dad has one on his excursion and he tows quite a bit, 300k miles and the diff fluid is still really good, used to overheat before.

Also curious if the extra distance the cover sticks out from the gears help the aeration part thst happens cause its flatter, but hard to prove.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe "aeration" would be the same regardless UNLESS the fluid is higher up on the gears. If they are in a larger pool of fluid, but said fluid is at the same level on the gears, you just have a little more thermal and shear "capacity". Again, actual fluid level in the diff being the same. However, I did my best to have others setup gears for me (joy of having a third and/or separate diff housing in my previous cars and trucks), so my logic might be flawed.